1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.2 or 9.2

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Farm Boss, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Should I stick with another 8.2 or buy a 9.2 when I get a new plow? All plowing will be commercial. Just wondering if you guys like the 9 footer better or what your thoughts are. Thought the price difference was a few hundred dollars but I will have to look into that again. Thanks guys...

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go 9'2....wider, more snow carrying capacity, for $200-$250. Why not! JMO

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I'm glad I went 9.2. As long as you have a truck that can support it and an engine that can push it!

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The weight diff is next to nothing, go 9'2.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

9'2" ...........

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

9'2" and forget the wings. you'll save a few pounds this way also.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

9.2 will work just when you drive keep the wings out just a little so they don't scrap the ground when your driving.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What truck?

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Does it matter?
    guys put v plows on jeeps..
    A 1/2 will have no problems
    (well that's what I hear from my second cousins who's bff from Facebook heard it on plowsite.);)

10. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have both a 9'2" and 8'2". I would buy another 9'2" if it were me. I think that it may be cheaper than putting a set of Boss wing extensions on a 8'2". I have a 9'2" on an 87 Chevy 3/4 ton. I need to put a new set of leaf spring under it this year. I can't complain because I have gotten 6 seasons out of the last set.

11. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I ended up getting the 9.2 V XT. I really had wanted to go with the bigger plow. Think it will work great for me, I will toss up some pics when I get the plow on. Thanks guys...

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Congrats on the new blade.

13. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm torn too.

I just bought a 2007 Dodge 3500 with a contractor's body, new truck, 120 miles.

I've got an 8.2 from the truck that I traded in, new last year, the plow was.

By the time I get a new undercarriage, headlight adapters and pay my guy $400 to install, plus the set of wings to get outside the duals, I'm going to be close to $1600 after tax.

If I sell the plow outright (which I'm pretty sure I did tonight) I can trade the old undercarriage in, along with the headlight adapters and get a new 9.2 for $5300 installed after tax.

The guy's going to give me $3700 for just the blade, so it's still $1600 out of my pocket.

My biggest concern is that I do have some lots that the 9.2 will NOT be able to plow all of, that I can barely squeeze the 8.2 in scoop through some of the bank drive throughs. I do have 2 other 8.2 that I can use on these however.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Nice plow...
    Now you need some more accounts..

That lot I told you about is still available.

15. krazeehorse

krazeehorse Member

I do a couple banks and the drive throughs might be a problem with a 9'2" according to my tape measure. I usually scoop through and there's not a lot of room with the 8'2".

16. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah my 8'2 comes very close too, i woulda gotten the 9'2 though if i had to all redo it.. My next plow for a f350 or larger will be a 9'2 V xt though.

17. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I had the same question about my Ram 2500hd - went with the 9.2 - after plowing with it, I don't have any more questions. VERY happy I went with the 9.2.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  18. grassplus

grassplus Junior Member

shouldn't be putting that heavy of a plow on a diesel...I've seen the front ends of the frame rip right off of the truck several times. Go to BOSSPLOW.COM and get the plow recommended for the truck. You will also save money on Ball Joints down the road! If your truck is rated for both the 8'2" and the 9'2" then I would go 9'2" as long as you don't have alot of drive throughs! (I also have a 9'2" and love it!)

19. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Grass plus..........I think the 9,2 only weights in 60 pounds more than a rated plow for a ford. ???? rip the frame off????

And this is coming from a guy that isn't always pro the biggest. Just questioning the statement. :dizzy:

20. grassplus

grassplus Junior Member

Grass plus..........I think the 9,2 only weights in 60 pounds more than a rated plow for a ford. (DIESEL)???? rip the frame off????

had a 2001 dodge diesel quadcab 3/4ton Heavy Duty and went through ball joints like crazy! Was told (have seen 2 in person) I was lucky I still hat my frame. At the time I had a brand new Heavy Duty and thought I could just put the baddest biggest plow on it. Since, I only put the rated plow on the truck. Just bought a 2008 dodge quadcab 3/4 ton diesel shortbed... the only plow boss will install on this vehicle is the 7'6" standard duty plow.And if it was the exact same truck with a longbed there isn't even an application that BOSS will install on that truck. I wanted at least a 8' superduty. BUT NOOOOO!

Anyway, I have several dodge trucks with the rated plow for that truck and I am happier than I ever was fixing the truck $$$$$$$$ just to look bad a$$! They have ratings for some reason?right?