1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.2 Boss v-plow on dually?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pieperlc, Oct 1, 2008.

1. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Does anyone run an 8.2 boss v or 8.6 western mvp a dually? I have a one ton dump I'd like to plow with, but also have the option to change the blade to a 2500 pickup. I'd use the pickup for smaller drives as the one ton doesn't have the visibility, but I'm looking to add a tailgate spreader to it. I'd go 9' but I'm worried the 2500 wouldn't punch through the drifts on some country driveways with the 9. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'd be much better off with a 9.2 or 9.5 on the dually for sure. Or at least consider purchasing a set of wings for the 8.2. That way you could run it on either truck as needed.

And you may be able to run a 9.2 or 9.5 on the 2500 depending on the specifics of the truck.

3. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Thanks B&B for the quick response. The pickup would be either a '05 GMC 2500HD or an '07 Chevy 2500HD. They both have the snow prep, 6.0 engine, regular cab so I think they could handle the 9', I just wasn't sure about the ability to push heavy drifted snow with it. I guess that's why I want to have the one ton set up as well. We have a couple of straigh 7.6 plows on 2500's already as well.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With the correct tires an ballast the reg cabs will push nicely with a 9.2 or 9.5. Of course you can't get as much ballast in one as the dump, but still enough to do the job.

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I run a 8.5 Fisher (same as MVP) on my 3500 chevy, dealer said the 9.5 would reqiure puting a 2 in lift in truck as wings tended to drag in travel (V) postion it is nice being able to switch between the trucks (I have 4 V's) one has pro wings which makes it seen huge. But it sure can more some snow.

6. R&B Enterprise

R&B Enterprise Junior Member

Got a 8.5 meyers express on a 01 3500hd extended cab. first year using the truck. drove it a round town seams to ride and handle like a caddillac. i will wait until it snow in the mountains and try it on the forest service road to get used to it. Snow is on the way (soon i hope) at least the weather men are talking about. So about 30 days.

Rob

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have much experience with duallies, but I'll tell you this. I have my 02 F-350 (see sig) with an 8.5 MVP and it handles it fine (duh! lol). But, when I put the plow on the Dodge 2500, it squatted like crazy. I wouldn't put a 9' on that truck. I think the biggest it could hold is an 8' like it has on there now. So, if I were you, I would probably put the big plow on the big truck (3500) and the smaller plow (8.2 or 8.5) on the 2500. But that's just what I would do. I think you will get the best performance out of everything this way. Make sure you post pics once you get your truck set up.

8. SGC08

SGC08 Member

B&B is correct. I had an 8.5 V on a dually and it was too small. It worked ok but not great since you were often driving through the snow you hadn't yet plowed. Go with the 9.5 or 9.2. Get a set of Timbrens for the front of the half ton and you should be set.

9. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

an 8.6 straight blade or v it cutting it to close. i have one on my 3500 chevy. id go 9'2 or 9'6 for sure

10. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

I know someone with an 8'6 MVP w/ wings on his 04 Chevy 3500 CC Dualy and I'm pretty sure he does fine, the wings help though.