1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8-10 Blizzard want some reviews

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by joedafs, Dec 22, 2011.

1. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

I am looking at buying a used 8-10 blizzard plow. I was told it was bought new in 1999 so I think it is one of the first ones built. Does anyone have any reviews on this plow. I want to put it on 2000 gmc 2500 newer body style with a 6.0ltr gas. Any reviews would help. I have run fisher,boss and western over the years but never a blizzard but the deal seems almost to good to give up.

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Even the early ones were great units, but were COMPLETELY different than the 2000 and newer units. With a few small modifications (really performance enhancements) they were the best plow ever built for commercial snow plowing efficiency and production. I loved my 2004.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

99's use the 4 hose per wing design. The 99 model was a plow of its own and the least desirable of any of them. It's still a Blizzard, but be careful if there's anything wrong with it.

When buying any used Blizzard always make sure you know what you're getting into. Make sure it's complete and for the vehicle you want it to fit. You have a GM, so those mounts aren't bad, but the HD Ford mount can be upwards of $700. That and something as simple as a set of cutting edges will be around $500. Damaged slide boxes, etc can cost big money to replace....if you can even still get them. You can add up a couple grand quickly if you're not careful.

I personally would never buy a 99 model. I've passed up the opportunity to get a couple on and off for cheap.........$5-600 and still passed.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Love my 03 wouldn't trade it for anything. Work has 5 04s and everyone raves about them. IMO the 99s are not worth it now. If you know about them cool, but not knowing anything about working on them, stay away. Again my .02

5. MrBillsLawn

MrBillsLawn Member

Two years ago I bought the same plow and put it on my 2004 Chevy 2500HD.

Lets start off with the good.

Love the plow. Works great in every aspect including productivity. The guy that I bought it from I know very well and the plow was well taken care of to the T. Lines changes, fluid change, always fresh paint, new cutting edges.

Now the bad.

Even though they are built tough, they are not the same as the newer year plows. As long as the plow is straight and was plowed with easy you should be fine. We found out the hard way last year by hitting a manhole cover going about 15 on a private drive. Bent a lot of steel. The good thing is that I am pretty good at fab work so I just cut it apart and welded it back together.

They are missing some components or "add ons" that you are going to want to add if you end up purchasing it. For starters you want to reinforce the ribs on the back side of the moldboard where it attaches to the A-frame. Simple fix, just weld some 1"x1/4" steel on both sides of the ribs. If you look at a newer plow they came this way from the factory. You will also want to add some stops to the lift area (area that goes into the mount). The problem is that the earlier plow did not have stops. When to stack a pile you can push the motor and valve assemble into the mount and break it off where it mounts. When this happens the positive terminal on the motor with ark to the A-frame causing no function....... almost like this has happen to me before. You may also want to add some stops for the turn. Its not really an issue, but without the stops there is a tendency for the turn cylinders to bash into the frame mount and break apart the jam nut.

With all that being said you also have to take into consideration that the plow is 12 years old..... its not new, but from the sounds of it, its cheap. Also keep in mind that you have a lot of moving parts, and a lot of wear points. Things are going to be worn, so you will have some fixing to do.

I think that most people will agree that these plows need a lot of regular maintenance. But when they work, they can cut your time in half especially if you have to plow slush or between cars in a parking lot. If you are able to see problems before they occur, and fix them yourself, you will be fine. If you have to send everything out and wait until things break, you will have problems.

If you search plowsite, you should be able to find pictures of modifications for this plow.

Worst case you buy this plow, use it for a year to pay for itself...... buy a newer model and keep this one for a back up. That way is your plow goes down you just unhook the broken one and switch to another one. Keeps you going in a big storm. The guy I bought mine from has 3 "back-ups" at his shop. If we break down we go to his shop, drop ours off and take another. Once the snow is done, we go back and fix ours. Best set up ever, but not everyone has that advantage.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

What Mr Bill said. I've got more hours behind '99 blizzards than anyother year or years combined. I still have a couple 99 plows that are nearly mint. I'd place them against ANY other Blizzard. Keep in mind though, they are heavily modified in structure, hydro's, and electrical components from what a stock 99 was. Look it over, or post some pics, we'll give it an honest critique. If you can weld, and the price is right, I'd do it if it is straight or nearly straight in it's current shape.

7. joedafs

joedafs Member
    from Toronto

thanks for the replies, I am still undecided but the price is having me lean more towards it. how can i make sure it is a 1999. I guess if its a 2000 it is much better. can someone tell me how to tell the two years apart.

thanks
    joe

8. dieselss

How many hoses are going to the wing cylinders? On the hitch,is there a spring?

9. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

So is it better to buy an older 810pp or buy a brand new one which is now an 8100pp cause i'm undecided if i still want a blizzard with all the bs i hear about them?

10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

rare It depends. Personally if it were me knowing that they aren't making ph1 frames for the newer trucks I would go with the new style. It seems that most of the bugs are worked out of them. Yes they do still have some issues, but most can be taken care of with some minor mods. I'll be taking two plows out to Erie this summer, so if you buy one and want to have it tag along let me know.

11. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

I was thinking of all the ones to get the 8100pp was the way to go but i want to make sure before i drop over 6 grand.

what is erie is that a show or swap meet?

12. lilweeds

Erie is home to Jerre's Service. When Blizzard first came out (before D&D purchased them) he work with the owners with R&D and mods to make the plows better. From what I have been told all of Jerre's Erie Special Mods were to be included on the 06 model year, but they decided to sell to D&D instead. Since everything in front of the a frame are the same, many of the Mods are still useful on the new plows. He may have some more for the new models as well, but I can't say for sure.

13. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

Oh so how would i find out if i can do the mods or if any mods to the new pp i'm buying or maybe contact this person or company?

14. dieselss

Did you determine tje year yet? Maybe post up some pics

15. lilweeds

16. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

I thanks lil for the link this will help me alot thanks again.

I called everywhere in nj and pa and even ny and no one has the 8100pp instock so i don't know if that is good or bad lol.

So i ordered it we will see when i get it plus i ordered the daystar 2" poly level kit for coils i got them amazon for 80.00.

Now i need a set of timbrens for the front and i should be good to go unless anyone things i should get anything else.

17. lilweeds

Storks almost always has them. 610-488-1450