1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.1 vs 6.6

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by HitchC&L, Apr 15, 2008.

1. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

Right now I have an 02 2500HD with the 8.1. Loaded up to the hills, everything but DVD/Nav and Im going to hit 50K in the next week probably. I love this truck, pulls great, but I have wanted a diesel BAD ever since I drove my bosses all last summer.

I found this truck on craigslist:

Its got higher miles, which is what Im worried about, loaded just like mine but has DVD/Nav. Also has a brake controller and a curtis plow. I dont really care about the DVD, but the Nav would be nice

The thing that worries me is the chip in it. I dont know much about chips but dont those really take their toll on the injectors? How are the 03 duramaxes anyway? I know they changed a few things over the years. And with almost 100K on it, am I thinking of buying myself into a whole lot of troubles.

What Im worried about is getting rid of my truck, and then I start having problems with the new one.

I bought my truck in september and owe 16K something on it. I could try to sell it for 20500 just like this guy, and hopefully it would go, and then I would basically be paying taxes on the new truck, and swapping over payments. I just dont want to regret it

Should I? Or should I scrap the idea.

Mine doesnt have a plow yet, and I was planning on a fisher, not a curtis.
  2. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Thats a really nice truck for sale... Very hard decision... I feel for ya. I think its also a decent price especially with the plow. Offer him $18,000 and show him the cash.... Just be careful about selling your truck and expecting that much (not that it is not worth it). An 8.1 with gas prices the way they are in this economy is gonna be hard to get rid of quick.
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

From what ive heard 8.1s are good motors. And should last you a lot more than 50k miles. I would never buy a truck thats plowed or had a chip just because you know there is a very good chance they have been abused. I would keep looking for a truck that hasnt plowed and doesnt have a chip.
  4. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

Yea, I know Im probably not going to be able to get that much off my truck, but I might as well aim high, and take a decent offer.

I might just keep the 8.1 and throw a plow on it. Ive been looking at the Fisher SS Xtreme V 8.5' but I really do still want a diesel haha.

The truck has always worked well for me, so thats why Im not sure of what to do, dont fix it if aint broke ya know?
  5. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Well some people use chips in their diesels to better there fuel economy... Ask him how long has he had the plow on it for? I agree with ducks about trucks with plows on them allready. I know how I treat my stuff but you never know how other people treat theres... Plus in Vermont there is alot more snow events than where I live so a truck having a plow on it in Long Island for 5 years is very different than truck in Vermont or Alaska... I think you should see the truck first if its not to far before you make any decisions... It may be abused and that will make your decision easier.
  6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I've had 3 Dmax's over the last 8 years--fantastic trucks,you will not be sorry as long as the PM was done and the owner didn't pull outrageous loads with it.I would get it checked out by a diesel tech--all if any codes will tell the story.If you want more info,go over to the Diesel Place.