1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.1 uses oil

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by C&D LANDSCAPING, Dec 12, 2002.

C&D LANDSCAPING Junior Member

I have an 01 2500 hd with an 8.1 and the allison auto , the problem is the truck uses oil. The real problem is the oil consumption varies greatly, I check the oil every couple of days, sometimes it's down a liter some times it will go a month and not burn a drop. I have gone to the dealer and GM tech says it is normal for HD to use 1 liter of oil for every 400 liters of fuel. My company has owened alot of vehicles over the years and not once have we ever had to add oil to one of them, any one else having problems.
  2. long0

long0 Senior Member

I've got the same truck as you and I also have the same issue (I would not really call it a problem though) Typically, I will burn a quart of oil every 1,000 miles.

Most of my previous trucks had the 454 motor in them, and they also used about a quart every 1,000 miles. I have talked with a couple of different people at different dealerships throughout the years, and all have told me that the Big Block motors will burn oil more than small blocks. Nobody had any reason besides saying that is the way they are built. I have given up on trying to find out why, and just accepted the fact that I gotta add a quart every so often.

If you find any more info somewhere else, please let me know.

3. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Welcome to the world of big blocks :D

It's really not a problem that these motors use oil..... it's just the hassle of dumping a quart in every 1000 miles

For the power and performance i'll keep dumping oil in
  4. long0

long0 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly!! :drinkup:

5. Back in the 60's and 70's we used 20w50 oil in most all big blocks.

My 98' 454 says use 5w30. They must have learned something over the years. I would think it would help lubricate easier at cold starts but you would also think it would break down and burn off easier when hot.

I just do what GM says and make sure I change oil and filter every 3000 miles.

I have never had to add a quart before 3000 mile change and I now have 46,000 miles on it.
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My 89 big block doesnt use any oil between changes. It now has 110K on the odo. I would chalk some of the consumption to break in periods being longer with the newer engines.
  7. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Chrome moly rings will cause a little oil to be burned, or so I have been told. I have also heard that they take a long time to "seat in". Maybe thats what the 8.1 uses for piston rings??

We rebuilt a 16 hp briggs motor and got the chrome moly rings. Two years and countless hours later it still smokes like a chimney, but still has more power than before. Dont know if the rings will ever seat.

Just a thought,
    Mark K