1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.1 on gas

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GMC HD, Nov 27, 2003.

1. GMC HD

GMC HD Junior Member
    from CT

just wondering what kinda of mileage others were getting on this engine. i've calculated about 8.5 mpg. just wanted to know if that is normal. i already know big block = big gas.

2. Foz

Foz Senior Member

I have 2 2500HD with 8.1 & Allison auto, they get between 8 and 11 MPG depending on what we are doing. The wife's Yukon Xl get an average of 12 MPG with 8.1 & 4 speed auto.

3. PS496

PS496 Junior Member

My 2001 8.1/allison 4.10 gears, gets 10.5 in the city and 11.8 on the hwy pulling a 20 ft bass boat.

4. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I typically get 10-10.5 in the Summer, almost always empty and w/o a tow vehicle. I have yet to hit 11 even though I tried really, really hard once by being "good." I do all mixed driving, but mostly around town in a semi-rural-ish community. Luckily, this isn't my primary vehicle, so I don't spend a lot on gas as I don't drive this truck that much. It's a 2003 2500HD reg. cab & bed, 8100, Allison 5-sp. auto, 4.10's, locking rear diffy, 7½ Western.

In the Winter with plowing my driveway and a couple of other's driveways, it'll go down to 7-8, which I'm a little surprised at. I typically leave the plow on all Winter (lazy). I also have about 300# of weight in the bed during the Winter (2 layers of old cross arms from utility poles... they're 8 foot long and just right as I wind up w/ a smooth floor in the bed).

My old 1992 GMC 350 w/ 125K got 2-3 or slightly more in Winter when doing a lot of plowing. So, I'm not disappointed with the new truck.

I enjoy setting the electronic readout to show instantaneous mileage. "Hey look, we're rolling down a big hill and we're getting 55 MPG's!" Or, "Hey look, we're climbing a big hill and we're getting 1-2 MPG's." I'm surprised at the instant NPG's while plowing aren't as low as I thought they'd be.

Finally, the electronic readout for average fuel economy, for I assume the entire time since the truck was new (I never reset it that I know of), shows 9.9 MPG.