1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.1 manifold gaskets

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RCsLawncare, Apr 19, 2010.

1. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

I have a 03 GMC 2500HD, has the 8.1 in it. I was wondering if anyone had done the manifold gaskets on this truck or one like it. They sound horrible and was wondering how long a shop would take to change them. It has 145k on it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How long it takes thus how much coin it requires depends on how many bolts break off and how many don't, so it's a tough call. Worse case scenario and per side including having the manifold surfaced (very important to longevity of the investment) fresh bolts and heat shields if needed around $300-ish. The more it fights the more it costs.

3. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

So is the truck and plow for sale?

4. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

On my '01, half the bolts broke on the passenger side by themselves. Broke 2 more off taking it apart. Two days re-drilling and tapping the holes. Awful hard on the knees trying to get them. If none of yours are broke, heat, candle wax and lots of patience.

5. RCsLawncare

Yes, truck is for sale. It got hit the other day, so debating on selling as is or fixing it now. But the plow and truck can be sold together or separate.

6. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

more info on the truck please

7. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

can you send some pics?

8. RCsLawncare

Send me some emails on a PM and ask away about the truck. I have pics of the damage ready to send out! Thanks! Ryan

9. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

candle wax? For What?

10. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Heat the nuts, and use candle wax for the lube. Doesnt burn like oil. Works very well. I was surprised the first time I tried it.

11. RCsLawncare

Truck is still for sale, and Im planning on doing the Manifold gaskets this month!! Got a bunch of other little stuff to do first! Thanks! Ryan