1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.1 L GM engines burning oil

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Lad, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Anyone notice that their big block engines burn oil? We've been surprised that the two trucks we have with the big blocks (both 2002's) burn about 1 to 2 qts between oil changes.

I asked the dealer and he said... "Oh ya, that's what they do". Doesn't sound like a very satisfactory answer. But then again I'm not an engineer or mechanic and don't really understand the 'physiology' of a truck engine.

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Just out of curiousity, how many miles are on these motors?

~Chuck

3. long0

long0 Senior Member

This came up previsouly here.

Like Earthscapes said "Welcome to the world of big blocks"

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Typical dealer. There is a fix for the 8.1 oil usage. It is the intake manifold bolts. Any dealer should know the fix available.

5. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Fewer than 6,000 miles on the one and about 10,000 on the other.

I'll ask the service department, not my sales man even though he's a fairly knowledgeable guy.

6. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Lawn Lad

I think it's the luck of the draw, I've only had 1 BB Chevy use oil but it was all in the first 15,000 miles ;)

I friend of mine has 14 BB Chevys all 2000 to 2003 & 6 use 1 qt. @ 1500 mi.,4 used oil only in the first yr. & 4 have never use more than 1/2 qt. in 3,000 mi.:confused: I still say some of it has to do with the driver, you know the type that stomps on it every chance he gets. My friend is doing a check with this idea as all his trucks have the same 1 driver daily & 1 to 2 riders. He is also checking as some of the trucks get less gas mileage so after a month he's going to switch 2 or 3 drivers & check again.:nono:

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

There is a TSB,number 02-06-01-035,which states the intake manifolds bolts may loosen allowing oil to be drawn past the intake gasket into the engine.The fix is new bolts with Loctite pre-installed on the threads.

You can check them yourself,to see if they are loose.If they are,you may have to replace the intake gasket as it may be damaged and just doing the TSB may not rectify the problem.

Some of these engines do burn oil.Some also take a really long time to break in,at which point oil consumption should decrease some.Since your truck have such low mileage,drive them for a bit longer and see if it improves.You may have to put 15-20000 before you start to see an improvement.

Keep your dealer in the loop in relation to your problem,and make sure they document everything (as well as giving you a copy).Everytime it's low on oil,stop by and show them how low,and how much it took to top it up.Good records are key here.This will help down the road if the problem doesn't improve,or gets worse.I would also contact GM customer service,and if you complain enough,they may give you an extended engine warranty at no charge.