1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8 1/2 foot plow on 6" lifted Tahoe

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Tahoeplower, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Tahoeplower

Tahoeplower Junior Member

Hey, I'm just putting the plow mount for a 8 1/2 foot plow on my '96 Tahoe with a 6" lift. I know, I know, that's WAY too big of a plow. But I got it used for $800 and can't complain. Anyways, I'm putting the mount on this weekend, and considering trading someone for a 7 1/2 foot plow, more appropriate for a Tahoe. My question is, with everyone complaining that 8-foot PLUS plows squat the front end down too much, is it doing damage to the drivetrain, or is it just that the front end squats so much, it rubs on tires? I have alot of "squat room" available with the lift in it, and 33" tires. There's probably 6-8" between the top of the tire, and the fender, so I'm not too worried about it rubbing. Is it going to kill my bearings and joints? Sure would be nice to be able to clear 8 1/2 ft. of snow as opposed to only 7. Looking forward to any advice you can offer, THANKS!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. Tahoeplower

not sure if that's the advice I meant.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe a pic of your setup would help

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Here just in case you get thirsty :drinkup:

6. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

take a look into some of the hts, before some one come here and tells you your IDIOT. no harm but you should use the search button seems to work for some? GOOD LUCK!

7. Tahoeplower

@The New Boss 92- when I said I was open to advice, I guess I didn't mean criticism. I'm new to this, never owned a plow before. Only bought one to help some elderly neighbors clear their driveway this winter. I could've gotten away with a snowblower for my property. Anywyays, I've been on this site for a week reading people's posts and responses. Closest I can find is a guy with a 2 1/2" body lift. Not the same setup as mine. Mine's a 6" suspension lift. So, no- no one else's thread could answer my question.

@2COR517- I'll get some pics as soon as I get it all mounted. Working on fabbing some brackets tonight, hoping to get it mounted without any hang-ups. I suppose that will answer 1/2 of my question just getting it on there, and seeing how it looks.

And thanks for the popcorn and beer Basher and Toby!

8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

did they change the differential gear ratios when they went to bigger tires. No, so it will be like plowing in 2nd gear.

the thing you need to worry about is getting the plow to sit proper you will have to lower the truck side plow hook up frame (read that as custom mount) and that lower push plate will add quite a bit of force to the truck frame. (try to twist the frame down in the front) so bracing the frame will be needed.

10. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

soory i was a little antsey yesterday. what i should have said was NO because its only a half ton and you are already puttuing you axles to a test with what size tire you have37's? go buy a beater plow truck and be done with it, dont ruin your nice lifted tahoe!

11. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

what brand of plow? I've got a 7.5 western that I would trade for a 8.5

12. Tahoeplower

trade

@Schwinn- It's a western, tradition mount. I'd be up for a trade (I actually have a Craigslist ad running to trade). I'd actually like to trade to someone who could fab me some new brackets, if possible, since I don't weld, and whoever gets the bigger plow will be coming out ahead anyways. My cousin was going to do it for me, but he's got so much going on right now, I'd be cutting into his paying side jobs, and don't want to cut into his income. But... do you even know where I'm located? Southcentral WI.

@Plowmeister- yeah, I had the notion to have brackets fabbed lower off the frame, and support that with a few bolts and permanent welds to support the pressure from plowing. Thinking it will drop it about 4" with brackets, and come closer to a stock stance. And no, the gear ratio is stock, but I assume I'll be plowing in low gear anyways. It's a 350, so it doesn't lack the power, it's not like I'm pushing with a 6 cylinder. And they're not 37" tires, they're 33's.

@New Boss- That was my first thought, to buy a beater with a plow on it, but I just don't want the additional costs that go along with it- insurance, etc, for something I'll only use to plow. I'm on a budget with Christmas coming, and now getting pinched to get it all done before the snow flies.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. Much appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  13. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

Hope you have lots of money for wheel bearings and ball joints. That size plow will chew right through them.

14. Tahoeplower

That's kind of what I thought. That's why I'm looking to trade for a 7 1/2 foot.

15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Before you look to hard what is the difference in weight between a 7 1/2 and your plow?

16. Tahoeplower

that's a good question. You wouldn't think much, being only a foot less. But I'm sure it's less support brackets, probably less height. Just made sense since most other Tahoes I found had 7-7 1/2 ft. plows on them. Western website also suggested 7 - 7 1/2 ft. But I suppose the newer ones are lighter. Maybe not, I don't know.

17. outlaw66

outlaw66 Junior Member

as long as you drop the truckside frame, you should be fine..
    If its a quaility lift, the balljoint angles are close to stock so you wont take them out any more than a non lifted tahoe. One of my truck I had was similiar and had a 4" lift, only downfall was the low plowframe when not plowing.

Where are you from, may be able to help with fab of the mount.

18. Tahoeplower

Well, I finally figured out how to mount it. Using a 2x6 tube steel to cross the front of the frame for latteral support, then tabs on bottom to mount the plow mount to. All tabs bolted and welded for support. The tube steel will be bolted with 4 bolts to the bottom of the frame, and tabs welded on the tube to put 4 more bolts to the side of the frame rail. So 8 bolts to hold the tube on. Then there's 2 support brackets that come out from the bottom of the mount that will get mounted to the crossmember, or part of the frame. So, with the dropped tube and mounting brackets, it should drop it around 7-8" and bring it closer to stock height (6" lift, and 2" oversized tires). Bought myself a welder, and trying to manage it myself. Taking some time, seeing as how this is my first fabrication project, but I want to do it right. Thanks for all the input!

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't forget to support the tube at the bolt holes if you are going to though bolt it so it doesn't collapse and at least forty five degrees for the thruster arms to have any strength. It surprises me you could buy a welder and all the equipment capable of handling the required material for less then you could have paid an experienced fabricator to do it. But if you're an experienced welder you should be able to scab something together to make it work.

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So you are putting the 2x6 edgewise for 6" of drop? That may actually be more than you need. I would put the original brackets on, mount the plow, and find out exactly what you need for drop.

And, pictures......