1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.0' or 8.5' Fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Nov 7, 2004.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Hello! I am looking to upgrade to a new GMC 2500 HD next year. I currently have 44 accounts and most of them are in a housing development. I have been going back and forth wether I should get a 8.0' or a 8.5' to do these driveways? Is an X-Blade good for doing driveways?
    Thank You

2. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Go with the Blizzard 810 save time and money

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The Blizzard 810 will give you the best of both worlds.

4. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

What features does the Blizzard plows have over the Fisher Plows? I was pretty interested when the Boss and Curtis plows came out with the electric motor that attaches and detaches the plow with great ease. That is a great feature, but what happens if the motor was to fail? Then how would you get you plow on or off your truck? The way I look at things, I would rather spend the money on a Fisher and have the peace of mind that it would come off and on the truck everytime with just a little effort.
    Thank You

5. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Just don't leave the plow on uneven surface or soft gravel then It will not go on with ease. The Blizzard you would just have to release pressure in the line and get the plow off the truck.

6. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

X-blade seems to be the same as a normal Fisher, only the moldboard is braced with X braces rather than vertical ribs.It looks heavier duty but that is not really needed if you are only doing res. accts..I know the price between an 8-8'5 is about $100 in New England..I would go bigger..

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

One thing about a blizzard is that when you are in the scoop position it is very wide. Not a big deal in commercial but it *may* be a deal in residential depending on what your stuff looks like. What cab configuration and motor are you getting? Fisher and western V's are nice too.

Think of your plowing rig as a tool since thats all it is. There is no end all plow. Every plow and every truck is better suited for some task, it is up to you to evaluate how your specific accounts would be most efficiently cleared.

Fisher IMO is just as easy to hook up as the Boss. I have used both. With a fisher you just have to push forward on the headgear instead of the motor doing it for you. I suppose if you had a complete failure with a smart hitch all you would need to do is take the pressure off the pins(push the head gear forward or lift the blade up a bit with a jack or pry bar)

If you havent bought the truck yet a reg cab will allow you to cary a larger blade than any other configuration.

A fisher or western 8.5V or a 9.5 V blade or a 810 blizzard would proably be my choice in blades depending on what the accounts were like.

There is NO one blade does all. There is no right answer for all questions. JMO

8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If the motor fails and you can't mount the plow then the plow is not going to operate either. Blizzard can be put on and off manually if needed. It is a struggle but it can be done. Go to Blizzardplows.com to see the line up and features.

9. George C

George C Senior Member

The main strength feature of the XBlade is the 1" trip edge pins.
    Along with the more agressive cutting angle, and XBlade also has a 10 top overhang that will foil snow better. It may be overkill for res. driveways.
    Me? I don't like to paint, so the T-304 was the clincher for me..

My opinion is to go with the 8'er instead of the larger one.
    You can get in plenty of trouble with 8', and 81/2 may just be too wide for some res. driveways.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004