1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

79 FORD rear question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rick Loncosky, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

I'm helping out a neighbor. He's got a 79 F250 4x4 pick up w/ 6 cyl. It has the bolt in axles like my chevy 3/4, but the rear must be removed from/through the back cover. There is no bolt in pinion like chevys 3/4. We were going to by parts before we tear apart, but. Outer pinion bearing is no longer there. What kind of rear is this? 10 1/5 full floater or 9 1/2 semi or ? I know the 9" ford rears come apart front and back, just have no clue on this one. Thanks for any insight guys!
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Didn't some of these 3/4 ton Fords use the Sterling 10.25" axle? They have a rear cover. Seems to me it was a very square shape.

The only 9" rears I know of have a drop-out pumpkin, not a rear cover. I don't know for sure, but something tells me the 8.8 (which does have a rear cover) is a semi-floater with C-clips...

You'd probably have better luck posting on the Ford Forum though...
  3. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

A 1979 F-250 should have a Dana 60 rear axle.

The front axle will either be a Dana 44 or a Dana 60, depending on if it was ordered with the HD front GVW package.
  4. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

like zr7 ken said the 79 f250 was a dana 60
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

There you go, the Sterling probably didn't come in until the 80's....
  6. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

7. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Why is this posted in the chevy forum?BTW it is a Dana 60.
  8. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

Thanks for all your help. We gutted the rear last night to find the inner pinion bearing completely gone except were it fused to the base of the gear. About 2 tablespoons of lube came out when the cover was removed. Ugh! & Stink!
    Well, he's off to the junkyard for some classic FORD parts. I didn't want to subscribe to the Ford Forum for fear of some kind of disease...