1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

79 F-250 Rubber Fuel Lines?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by shooterm, Mar 8, 2011.

1. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Well I'm tinkering on my shed truck again and noticed this spring I running into issues with my fuel system after dropping my front tank. I'm not postive if its that extra space its opened up or my tinkering but I need a complete rebuild on the fuel lines due to rusting. No more patch work its rusted in to many spots.

Anyways I'm wonder if I could temporary replace the steel with rubber for say two years while I complete a cab back peicemeal restore? Couple reason I dont want steel is the fact I'll be moving these lines multiple times. Another is the fact I'm still in the debating part if I even want to put the front tank back on due to all the room it opened up while working on it. I'm not kidding just taking it off makes it a joy to work on lately. I heard all the reason for not using rubber around heat sources and completely understand where it cant be used up front. Thanks for listening this isnt my daily driver but I do enjoy driving this while I work on it.

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You will be fine, you already know to keep it from anything hot. You can use the elcheapo fuel line don't let the parts guy try and talk you into the higher pressure hose for EFI.

3. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Thanks I kinda new the answer myself but want to hear it from someone else :mechanic:.
    Went on another forum and there was talk of burning my family up, dangers of SHTF ineffectiveness :help:, cobbeled mechanic work... Sometimes I wonder about the internet thing.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Makes you wonder what some people think. You will have more sound lines than you do now.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You could even go the race car route with braided stainless steel covering and fittings. Then you would not have to do the job over.