1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

79 F-250 Rear ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Rick Loncosky, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

I'm helping a neighbor who ran the rear differential dry and burnt the pinion bearings fast. We found a F-250 same engine tranny combo but a 75. The rear looks the same, is it? I see they changed the way the shocks mount at the top on the frame but that shouldn't matter. Are the springs widths the same? Would this have the same ratio 3:54 they're both 6 cly. 4 speeds. Thanks for any help, Rick.

2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

To check the ratio you would need to jack it up and spin the tire and count driveshaft revolutions or the axle tag which is more than likely gone. Is the 75 the highboy package, they had narrower frames and also taller gearing.

Also the Older rears (Dana 60 I assusme) Had a smaller spline count like 30 or 28, can't remem, not as strong which really doesn't matter unless he is pushing the truck real hard with bigger tires or bigger motor.

Why not just go to the scrap yard and get a closer year rear end or a take a whole gear set and pinion out of another at scrpyard, maybe a little more work.

Good luck with your fun

3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I think I recall something about the distance between the frame rails being a different width after 1977. You might measure the distance between the spring pads just to be sure it will fit.

4. CubMan

CubMan Junior Member
    from Wa

http://www.usgear.com/tl/ford2.htm This link may help you with your rear end. I would measure where the springs rest on the differential and compare it to the other rear that you have.

5. CubMan

CubMan Junior Member
    from Wa

6. CubMan

CubMan Junior Member
    from Wa