1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

79 drivetrain in 85 chassis

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by n.g.ferlus, Feb 5, 2003.

1. n.g.ferlus

n.g.ferlus Junior Member
    from indiana

I am seeking help with trying to build a chevy 4 wheeler. So you can understand my appeal for help, I have been a Ford man (the kind who buys the truck, inserts key and drives away) I always wanted a 4x4 so I am trying to put one together.
    I have a 1985 4x4 rolling chassis and a 1979 drive train (350 eng, 350 trans, 203 transfer case) I am going to marry the two together and I don't know if this is a simple swap, just drop it in and bolt it up, or if there are modifications or different parts needed. I do have the axles from the 79 but I hope I don't have to swap them also. the 79 frame was not in good shape so I got the 85 to put this stuff in. Thanks for any assistance.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Everything should bolt right up,except you may have to change the trans\tc crossmember as they may be different.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

NG I can understand your need to clarify this. Unlike ford GM kept most parts from 73-87 interchangable. the frames during these years were all pretty much the same as well, so just keep track of where cross members fro the t case and tranny bolt in, and the most you will have to do is drill a few holes.
    Dino