1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'79 Chevy 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Iowa, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

I just bought a like new chevy 2500 crew cab...the mount and harness will go on it from my old GMC, but I was wondering one thing:

i would like to make the new truck a back up, and use my '79 as the primary plow truck. while it is only a 2WD, i have an easy dump in the back that i could put 2 - 2.5 ton of something back there. is that much weight sufficient for traction or should i forget this idea???

2. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

WE have several one tons w/ 2WD that DO a Good JOB Plowing OH don*t get Me Wrong? theres NO Doubt 4 WD is Better!--but-- Most plowers forget? when Your Plowing Your Trucks ON freshly Plowed Ground--& Plowig w/ Any thing?--Weight over the Rear wheels is a lot More Important than Most Think? as*the Basic Rule IS! the Weight in the Trucks BED should Be Equal? to the Plows Weight? & a Bit EXTRA never Hurts! Sand?--Salt?--or a Really Fat Lady? will DO the TRICK!--OleTower--