1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

79 Bronco Oil Pressure

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by long0, Nov 19, 2002.

1. long0

long0 Senior Member

I've got a 79 bronco with 351M, 397,000 miles. My father bought it new, and it has been very well taken care of. The bearings are worn leaving me with low oil pressure at warm idle.

Is it worth just replacing the bearings, or is this a waste. There is no way I can be plowing with it in the condition it is in now. This truck strickly does residental within 5 miles of the shop. It is only used for plowing and sits the whole summer. I only put about 3,000 miles on per year plowing, give or take some depending on snowfall. I was really hoping it would make it through this year, but there is no way.

Money is tight this time of year, so replacing it is pretty well out of the question until next year. Will replacing the bearings get me through this winter, or should I dedicate another truck to this one's route.

Andy

Last edited: Nov 19, 2002
  2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i wouldnt replace the bearings without polishing or cutting the crank.did you try to put a thicker oil in it and heating it up to see where the pressure is?

3. long0

long0 Senior Member

Thicker Oil

Not an option where I am at. Temp in January can reach -30deg. Its hard enough to get a new truck started in those temps.

Yes, I do have a block heater on it, but it is a water jacket style, not an oil heater style.

Andy

4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

then i would tell you to wait till you can afford to go thru the entire motor and rebuild it

5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Long0, You should be counting you blessing the 351M made over 300,000 without a rebuild yet. Low pressure in that motor is less than 10psi when warm but since you are in a part of SIBERIA better known as the mountains of Colorado the motor may never get warm during the winter.

Have done several re-Bearing jobs on 70-100,000 mile motors. Paul is right you should polish the crank or put in a regrind but you can just pull the pan, mic the crank for round/out of round and put in new bearings with a minor polish or none at all. You will have to probably get under sized bearings to match the crank. Possibly a mixed set depending on wear. Do the dirt track racers trick, get them as close to size as you can, put it back together and give it hell till it blow's.

Then find the other truck to run the route.

In all seriousness. You can split the tranny off the motor. Pop the flywheel, Drop the crank and put in a regrind too. As long as the motor still has good compression it wouldn't be that hard and only a few $$ more than bearings and would last longer.

Drop the pan and check it out.

Jerre

6. long0

long0 Senior Member

Going Rebuilt

I weighed my options, and finally decided that it would cost me more if this truck was not running, than it would to toss in a rebuilt one. Found a remanfactured motor in Texas for under $900. My girlfriend want to go see here parents in Texas anyway, so she is going to pick it up next week. Thanks for the help guys.

Does'nt look to bad for having almost 400,000 miles.

side view.jpg

7. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

thats an awesome bronco, its ok besides the one problem? if so thats great for its age and miles on it, ever think about putting a salter on it? got great storage in the back. nice and dry.

8. long0

long0 Senior Member

No use for a salter around here. Once the snow starts falling, it stays for the whole season. Most everybody around here has dirt or gravel drives, so people would rather drive on the snowpacked roads than the pot hole infested dirt roads anyway. Much easier on the equipment too.
    I have one customer that requested that I salt or sand there property, but the startup price was to high to justify it for only one customer. If more customers become interested in it, I would consider it, but for now, I will stick with just plowing.

Andy