1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

79 1/2 ton 4x4 project

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by camino4x4, Mar 24, 2003.

1. camino4x4

camino4x4 Junior Member
    from maine

I am mounting an 83 el camino on a 79 1/2 ton. Does anyone know what is the most backspacing i can get on rims so that i won't have to make huge fender flares. thanks, comments and sugjestions on the el camino project are welcome. I think i've got most of the stuff figured out but i know i'll run into problems.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I've never tackled anything like this myself, but in my somewhat limited experience, it depends on other factors, such as tire size, amount of lift (suspension or body) and the differences in body width between the k10 and the ElCamino.

3. camino4x4

camino4x4 Junior Member
    from maine

thanks, i am thinkin 31/9.5/15 or 16. it'll probubly have a body lift of 2 or 3 inches, and the width isn't much diffrent, i can modify the inner fender skirts if it will make the tires beable to be more inside the fenders.
  4. biere

biere Junior Member
    from ohio

The backspacing affects how much your front wheels turn. I have a 91 caddy touring sedan and it uses a lot of the common deville parts but comes with "spiffy" tires that are bigger than on a normal deville. The rims may also be different.

Anyway, to maximize the ability to turn in a smaller area I backed off the steering stops. If I turn the steering wheel to lock I hear the tread of the tires rubbing on the frame of the car, and yes you can look at the frame and see where it rubs. I do this only at low speeds and I am the only one who drives the car so I will mess with things like that.

Your el camino can be similar if you are the one to drive it.

But I can tell you from what I have learned with 4x4s that most likely no one can tell you what a tire will measure out at on a specific rim unless they have that rim and tire combo. And your elcomino brings in possable body lift spacers and stuff needed to make the body fit.

A 3 inch spacer on the truck would likely be different than the truck frame with the car body.

Overall, I would make the truck chassis with a car body and use junk yard wheels with small mounted tires. Going off that you can see a real world setup and decide if you want maximum tire size that literally will not stuff up into the wheel well when doing serious off roading. Or if you want it to stuff up and fit, you have something to measure and can use math to get really really really close guesses to what will work and what will not.

I have found the inside liners of the wheel well are not my problem on my caddilac, and I bought it used and do a lot of work on it so don't assume anything. The frame is my problem and on some similar custom vehicles around my area it is always the frame or fender that gives, tire backspacing only goes so far.