1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

78 meyer 8 foot plow on 99 F250 SD

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Brandon_oma#692, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Brandon_oma#692

Brandon_oma#692 Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I have a 1999 Ford F 250 Superduty. I have a 1978 8' Meyer plow that my Dad bought new and used very little (cutting edge is berely worn). Does Meyer (or anyone else) sell a mount to put this plow on my truck. I have everything to bolt it on an older truck and use it so I think alli need is the truck mount for my truck to do this.

Thanks for the help.
  2. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

You should be able to use the Classic Mount but you willl need all the updated light modules for your headlights.
  3. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

Is the plow a Classic "hoop" style or does the mount bolt on behind the bumper? I believe that in 1978 the only Mount was the behind the bumper and Meyer does not make that mount anymore so you will not be able to find one for a 1999 superduty. You can convert this plow to a Classic mount but it is costly. You will need an undercarrage (List approx. $800.00) Hoop (approx $500.00) and A-frame (approx $500.00) as well as all new lighting (approx $500.00) so I am not sure it is cost effective. The other option would be to find a plow installer that may be able to modify your undercarrage to fit the 1999 Superduty.
  4. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

if you can post pictures of what you have you can get some strong feed back.

I just ran into this same situation, old Diamond pull away on a 99F250, so it can be done, but it will take some good fabrication and welding skills along with some other dollars.

The A-frame on the blade will probably ned to replaced, but to save money a sawzall, some 3/8" x 3"x 30" piece of flat stock, some cuttoff whells, right angle grinder and welder can certainly get the job done in 2 hours time converting the A-Frame to fit a classic mount. If you need a roud lift frame they are out there on e-bay or craighslist for $200-$400 classic mount used $250-$400, providing you have a electric pump and all the wiring you could easily get it done for $500-$800.

I do these all types of converstions all the time, it takes time to find what you need and some money to get what you can't build.
  5. 79schaefer

79schaefer Junior Member

i just finished mine. I am not sure what the mount that I used came off of. I purchased a mount and hoop from a junkyard for $100. I fabbed up the pcs to mount it to the truck. I have about 8 hours in fab time in. I am not using the plow lights, cause my truck sits high enough that I can get away with out them. I used the blade, a frame pump and wiring from my 78.

It can be done. If I had to pay someone to do it, it wouldnt have been worth it.

Steve S.
    To many to list.
  6. Brandon_oma#692

Brandon_oma#692 Junior Member

What is the difference between the old and new A frame? I was unaware of this.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing other than it's shorter. Easy enough to shorten the old one, or if you're the type that doesn't mind the blade some distance from the truck you can also leave it as is.
  8. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I believe on the new C8 A-frames it is 34" from king pin back to the rear cross bar where the hinges attach. If you leave the A-frame long you will be putting undo stress on the front axles, bearings and springs. You will also loose ground clearence when the plow is lifted.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many brands out there that place the blade farther forward than any EZ-Classic ever produced with no ill effects. A moot point for the most part.

I ran a 37" A-frame on an EZ-Classic for years. The extra "reach" was very beneficial many times. Having some extra space between the truck and plow is a convince too.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have an older 8ft on one of my trucks. i moved the lift chain back e few inches so the chain lifted straight