1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

78 C20

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ruben, Feb 12, 2002.

1. ruben

ruben Junior Member

My C20 has idiot lights and I would like to install gauges. There is a truck at the local wreckers with a gauge package. Do I have to change the sensors/sending units also? This is a 350 engine and I am looking at oil pressure, water temp and voltage.

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, the sending units are different for gauges. I don't know if your oil pressure gauge will be mechanical or electrical - the original one in my '75 was mechanical, an oil line ran from the engine into the dash just like an aftermarket gauge. Later trucks had the electrical oil pressure gauge, not sure when the changeover was made.

I'm also not 100% sure how the voltmeter will hook up, you will need the entire dash "guts" from the donor truck. What year is the donor? Although identical at a glance, seems like every couple of years enough subtle changes crept in to make the instrument cluster circuit boards not quite interchangable, which I found out when looking through the pile of ones I'd saved when I had to replace one.............................

3. ruben

ruben Junior Member

gauges

Not sure what that trucks age is. Will check again this week.

4. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

gages

It would be far less trouble to just install a set of Auto Meter gages.
    Not to mention that they look far better than the stock ones.
    I have temp and oil, an Ispro voltmeter. and an inside outside
    temp gage in my dash.
    It took me about 3 hrs to install.