1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

77 M880

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Tarpy, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Tarpy

Tarpy Junior Member

Noob here so I'm hoping to tap into some of the knowledge here. I've got a 77 M880 (essentially a 3/4 ton, I know it was rated at 5/4 ton) and I'm looking for some suggestions on a plow for the rig.

In addition, I've got a bead on a used (in good shape) plow, frame, pump, res., values, etc from a old sno-fiter. I believe the year is between 77 - 82 (the owners not sure) and I'm wondering if this would fit on the M880 without a ton of pain. I know that I may have to invest some cash on rehabbing the pump or valves (I've been assured that the plow is in good working order, although you never know). and I'd like to go this route since I'm just doing my own long rural drive and lending the truck to a few friends to do their drives. What should I look for in that used rig (I'm sure the list is lengthy), what should I be worried about, how can I make sure it fits the M880 without having to get into the fabrication business.

Any help you can give is appreciated. If I've not given enough info please let me know and I'll provide all I can.

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

old dodges work great 318 motor 727 transmission 203 tansfer case Dana 44 front dana 60 read, keep the front end greased
    Sno fiter ended in 78 Hyd plows last almost forever. i have a 72 snofiter plow on my 86 most you have to do is hoses and rebuild the cyl when they start leaking.

Sno comander elect over hyd hoses But i never liked that you have to send the pump out to be rebuilt.

As far as the plow fitting any plow frame of 72-93 dodge truck will work.

I am not like some here I don't worriy about rust on the blade or dings and dents. i more conceerned with the condition of the pump and cyl parts
    If came off a dodge then it is meyers plow, and for the most part they can get parts.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The valve body was the weakest link. on the old Meyers set up that came on the sno-fighter & sno-comanders.

They would crack and blow out the by-pass valve.
    It is very hard to find a good one for parts.
    I machined a new one for mine but I gave that one away..

It will fit and work as long as you have all the brackets for the pump
    you may have to relocate the power steering pump also..

4. HHamilton

HHamilton Junior Member

I have a 78 m880 that is in the mist of a frame up restore. It had a plow frame, controls, pump and everything but a blade. A true m880 was made with manual steering not power. Also the most important thing to remember to grease are the sealed front wheel bearings. You remove the tires and there should be a hole in the rotor, aling the hole with the tie rod end and the grease fitting should be there.They are also fulltime 4x4 unles an expensive coversion kit was installed to change that.

5. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Huh????
    I can't count the number of m880, m882 m886 trucks I have gotten off 3 local bases over the years and every one had power steering. Half my current 86 plow truck is m886. most all m886 had the dana 60 front and rear.....

6. 88w250

88w250 Junior Member
    from eastern

are you keeping the plow stuff?

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

On my truck that had the old belt driven pump and flawed valve body is swap it all out for a older Western power unit it will fit right in where your lift ram is now with no mods.

hear is a pic of mine, I was working on the coils..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  8. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

it should bolt up with no problems I ha a 74 the has a added one myers setup that works great on it. but i hardly use it anymore as it just sits. I use the 77 w400 more.
    about the only thing you might have to modify is the mount underneath depending on how high the truck sits.

If you need any snofighter parts, i know a guy who has tons of them in his junk yard.
    Let me know.

9. HHamilton

HHamilton Junior Member

make me an offer

10. Tarpy

Tarpy Junior Member

Thanks

For all the information.

I know where all pump, res and valves go, but I'm struggling with getting this thing onto the frame of the truck. I just can't figure out the brackets, does anyone have any pics of how the brackets mount onto the frame?

Wahlturf..I do need some misc parts if you know of a source let me know.

HH..I'd be interested in the plow set up as well. Frame mounting brackets and the light/lift assembly primarily.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

11. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

tarpy, what pics do you need/area? Pm me and i'll email you some pics. My mount should be the same as yours. whats parts are you needing?

12. Tarpy

Tarpy Junior Member

Pics

Wahl-

Why don't I get some pics of the parts this weekend and post them. I've got all of the various brackets at least I think I do. It looks as if there's been a cutting torch used at some point in time which has me a bit worried.

I need to see how the brackets and plow frame connect to the truck frame...I'm looking at the parts I have and I can't seem to sort out how it all comes together.

Any help would be much appreciated.

13. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

this is the undercarage for plow i pulled off a dodge. frame is upside down.
    left top to center of pic is the "plow box"
    Center to top right Passenger side Frame support
    Center to bottom Support bracket to light frame
    Right side of pic is drivers side peices off the frame so you get a better veiw of them.

Edit forgot to add pic
    http://www.cacuda.com/other/DSC00536.JPG

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If it was cut off the chances he cut the frame extensions in two.

I think he is looking for the frame extensions that the plow frame/light tower connects to.

15. Tarpy

Tarpy Junior Member

This weekend

That's for the pic. I'm going to look this weekend and see if I can get it all together and if I've got all the pieces. Now that I see how that all goes together it a huge help. I'm hopeful that it wasn't altered with the cutting torch so we'll see what this weekend brings.

I'll give you and update and post some pics on Monday