1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

763 With plow on 2.5 acre site

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lacymanagement, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Lacymanagement

Lacymanagement Junior Member

Hello all,
    i have subbed out my skid to a large snow company in the area since i did not have any work for it this winter. I am getting what i think is a fair hourly rate to do a food store locally. This is my first season with this machine and set up and i do not know what kind of production rates this will have. The operator is one of my better guys with a lot of experience in skids. My machine is a bobcat 763 (SINGLE SPEED) with an 8 foot power angle straight blade plow. I do not want to post a picture of the site since it is not my location and i dont know how the company would feel about that. It is about 2.5 acres but very broken up and in the shape of an "L" around the building a lot of cars. A good amount of islands and lights but not any crazy amounts. This would be the the only piece on site for the majority of a storm i told them details of the equipment but they felt comfortable giving me the lot. Just wondering if everyone things it doable? i want to be fair to the contractor as well and i feel like it would take while in a small storm and have no idea how it would preform in a large event. Any ideas? Thank you all!

2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

With it sounding like it is a pain to plow with islands and such, with a competent operator I still think you would only be about 3 hours. Never used my skids for plowing but that figure is based off of threads on here.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't want to do it without a pushbox.

4. Lacymanagement

Lacymanagement Junior Member

Thanks for the advice

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  5. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

On a two inch storm closer to four hour I would quote, should be a money maker.

6. JimMarshall

from NW PA

What are you basing this calculation off of?

7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Bum in the seat of skid steers and other stuff pushing lots and you?

8. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Math. Ground speed on a 1 speed 763 is 7.0 MPH. If you assume that you lose 65% of your operating time to turning around, Slowing down around islands, etc, that gives you an average ground speed of 2.5 MPH. Now let's assume that due to windrowing, overlap, etc that his 8 foot plow is clearing 3 feet of parking lot per pass. That's 39,600 sq ft/ hour. 2.5 acres * 43,560 sq ft =108,900 sq ft. At 39,600 sq ft/ hour, that's 2.75 hours of plowing.

My numbers may be off, just guesstimates on efficiency based on 14 years of running skid steers and 11 years plowing snow.

9. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Now that right there is a great breakdown.

10. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

You win, was that with two inches of snow?

11. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Yes. Like I said, my assumptions on efficiency and clearing width could be off, thats just my guesstimation

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Jim,

We don't not apply such Math and equations here at the number 1 snow rated website. You my friend have caused enough problem threads this week.

:) good job!

Let's round it to 3.15 hours for a two inch event. Figure machine warm up and checking machine.

13. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

no travel time against the job? is that out of your pocket? i guess something to consider how is this job paying,Hourly, monthly, per push? back to the op's question yes it is doable with the machine you have.
    while i can't argue with jim's math for the plowing time,by the time.. it is all said and done i think close to four hours per push.

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 763 with a 8.5' angle plow (I rarely put the wings on) that I use at our home/shop. I'd have to think that would be the longest 3 hours of my life using it on 2.5 acres.......

15. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on what the buildings hours are (says food store so assuming its not open 24/7) it could be closer to a 4 hour push, if the store is open while you are there. Although parking spots may be taken, you will be dodging idiots in cars, walking, and getting in your way.