1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

760 lt

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by jbart06, Aug 21, 2012.

1. jbart06

jbart06 Member

i have a 03 blizzard 760 lt I made it through last winter just fine but their are some things that need fixed and I am curious as to others opinions whether i ought to fix them or if id be better off finding a used plow and just buy it and sell mine for what i can. Im thinking the difference in what I sell mine for vs the 1000-1500 I can get a used setup for would be possibly less or equal to what id spend in parts to fix my plow.

First issue is the power hitch switch works only when i mess with the wires that come out the back of the switch-- dont know if I should just buy a new switch or if i can purchase new wiring or re wire it myself.

second issue the plug going from the truck and the one coming from the plow to the truck for the plow has to be played with a bit to get a good connection and then a few times through the night ill have to get out and give it a twist to get it working again. not sure which side is the issue but ive been told to replace both sides would cost around 300.

last thing that will need done and I realize its just maintenance is the cutting edge.

Is it worth it to put the money into my plow? I have a guy locally who has a used plow identical to mine with allthe parts to install on my truck (which I dont even need since im already set up) for 1500 obo.

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Well, IMO I like knowing what I have. You don't have any major problems from the sounds of it. Most likely you need a new PH switch $25-$50. Second, a new cutting edge $150-$200. Third is the truck and plow side harness. Sounds like they are both good, just the connections are not good. Since they are probably both near junk in the connections, cut the big plugs off and rewire with simple spade connections or another plug of your choice. The two big power wires would probably best be replaced with a different plug/wire setup. See some other posts about that in this forum. We sometimes use the Hiniker battery cables $25 for plow side and $50 for truck side. That should get you fixed up well for about $350. Tip: if you do plan to purchase both new truck and plow side harnesses, you wont need a new PH switch as it is part of the plow harness kit P/N62039.

3. jbart06

jbart06 Member

So what all comes with the plow side harness? it doesnt seem to be the switch necesarilly thats the problem but the wiring off the back of it is that all included with the harness?

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Plow side harness includes the harness that beginning from the big plug and working towards the plow has:
    - the wires and plastic plug that the PH switch plugs into (not sure if your 03 originally had the plastic plug)
    - the wires and plastic connector that connects to the coil harness (coil harness is NOT included)
    - a positive wire and a negative wire with ring terminals for the motor and ground
    Also included in the harness kit is the PH switch (p/n B62038)

5. fireside

fireside Senior Member

The first problem it needs a switch. NAPA can get the switch around $8. As for the other problem. Make sure all the pins are in place not broken off or burned. Than clean both sides of the connections I like carb clean but they do make a contact cleaner. You may need to take a small round brush to clean them if they aere green from corrosion. If you look close the pins are split take a very small screwdriver and open them up gently. than apply diectric and try it you should be all set. All the stuff you mention is called maintance no reason to buy a new plow in my eyes.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  6. jbart06

jbart06 Member

Actually, that was the route i went was some contact cleaner and electrical grease last fall and still had issues i did not however mess with the pins opening them up at all. I will look into that. Also it does not seem to be the switch that is the issue it is the plug that plugs into the back of the switch that is the problem i was thinking of eliminating the plug off the back of the switch and just hard wiring the wires to the switch.

7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Look closer at the switch if you pull off the plug you will find that the spades are lose or does the lever turn in the housing? I had a plow burn/melt a spade completly off the switch housing. The overall quality of them is poor it may look good but the inside is complety gone. They just fall apart from normal use.