1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7'6 X Blade SS on silverado

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by NHplwguy77, Nov 6, 2008.

1. NHplwguy77

NHplwguy77 Member

is it possible to do a 7'6 or 8' SS X Blade on a 1/2 ton silverado. Im sure it has been talked about before. I do have aftermarket torsion keys cranked up and would/could add timbrens. Would i be alright? just afraid the poly plows would not hold up.

2. stillen

stillen Senior Member

Thats kinda a little more weight that IFS was designed for. Yes you could beef up the suspension so you don't sag much, but its your drivetrain that'll suffer. Those cv/axles are so weak...I had a 01 sierra 1/2 ton as my familes farm beater. We didn't work that truck at all that hard, and we were constantly replacing front end components.
  3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

So don't get a poly blade and instead buy a 7.5 RD Fisher or 7.5HD. There's no need to put a large plow on a half ton truck, regardless of the plow brand or any truck modifications. If you're looking to do an X blade, get a truck that handles it (3/4 or better yet the 1-ton). You can plow for years with a half ton, providing you put the right plow on. 7.5 for a half, 8' for a 3/4, 9 for a 1-ton.
  4. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

8' is kinda big for 1/2 ton.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Hey kev, just so you know, the RD specifically is no longer offered...it has been moved into the HD family but is pretty much the same thing as the "RD" was.

I would agree with above posters...a 7'6" would be perfect for that truck

6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

The RD is now the SD, right? My mistake!
  7. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I find with an 8ft. on a fullsize pickup it will push the snow away from tires better when angled all the way.
    I guess it depends on the plowing your doing.