1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

76' wheel bearings

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by karl klein, Sep 11, 2003.

1. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have noticed on my 76' chevy 1ton that the front drivers side bearing is chirping. but i cant figure out how to get to it. it started at the end of last year i guees from getting washed out with slush. anyways i would like to get it fixed when i pull it out this weekend and mount the plow.

please help?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You will need to remove the inner and outer hubs to get to the wheel bearings.Remove the allen bolts and pop off the outer hubs.Remove the inner and outer snap rings (you may only have one),and remove the inner hubs.Now I'd take it for a drive and see if the noise is gone.If it is you need new hubs.The hubs were probably damaged by a bad u-joint and\or inner spindle bearing.

If the noise is still there,then remove the wheel bearing nut (you need a special tool),and the lock retainer,then the inner nut.You will need to remove the caliper (3/8" hex),and the rotor and bearing will come off.

Check the brakes,rotors,ball joints,and front axle u-joints,as now would be the time to do them if needed.

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

wyldman, thank you for the advice as for the hubs you said to remove the allen bolts? are you talking about all the 9/16" bolts going around the inner wheel? i think there is 10 of these?

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

What front axle do you have ? Does it have locking hubs ? Just trying to figure out these 9/16 bolts your talking about.

5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

the hubs are always locked and it has full time 4 wheel drive. on the part that sticks threw the wheel there is about 8 or ten of these

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes,you'll have to pull them off to get at the bearings.You will still need the special tool for the bearing locknuts.

7. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

thanks, do you know who might have that tool

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sorry for thew slow response,I've been moving into a new house.

Most auto parts stores should have it to buy\borrow\rent.If not,maybe try a good front end or alignment shop that does trucks.You may even be able to order it online.