1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7'6" Western Unimount plow PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jeffery, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Jeffery

Jeffery Junior Member

New to the group. I've had this plow the last two seasons. At the end of this last season i had an oops moment. I disconnected the plow from the truck and forgot to disconnect the wire harnesses. Well when a back away the harnesses from the plow and truck ripped apart from each other. The valve coil box broke off in the process. I looked at it and figured i would try to fix at a later time. Ive made a few attempts. i went to plug them in and no power to the plow. I had power at the controller and only amber lights. I noticed the wires at the harnesses on both side were exposed and corroded so I red those. Still no power at the plow but power at the controller and only running light. I checked the battery and the relay for the plow installed next to it with a test light and there is power there. After going back to the controller I noticed I had no power here now. All i have now is amber lights. I ran the wire of the controller thinking there would be a fuse but haven't found one. If there is one it must be in the wiring behind the grill because I checked it from inside the truck, under the hood to where it goes into behind the grill and no fuse. Do i need to change the valves and coils or a relay. Where are the relays? Maybe behind the grill? Im lost. i want to know how to fix this on my own. It doesnt seem like a difficult plow to work on but not know what to do exactly is stopping me.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Post some pice of the carnage.
    Did the wires pull off of the coils?
    Did you put them back correctly.

Same for the lights.

Next ,the grounds, are they all atached.
    When you short out the solinnoid, does the pump run?

only you know what wires were yanked apart,I'd look there
    And how did you "red" them?

Fuses, did you run a new power wire from the batt to controller?

3. Jeffery

Jeffery Junior Member

The wires were put back on the coils correctly. The wires are the same color due to me using what i had to redo them but they are on correctely as i redid them one by one.

As where every ground i could find i is grounded. It was just the harnesses on the truck side, plow side and the the wires at the coils that came apart. "red" them? I didnt run a new power wire?

I upload pics when I can. The harnesses were changed by the previous owner so they are the western harnesses. Im assuming the didn't want to spend the money to by the replacement ones. Me buying this truck two years ago didnt even realize this due to being a first time plower. BTW replacement parts for this are EXPENSIVE!!!

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

First, you have WAYYYYY time much crap going in here. Step back breathe and gather your thoughts
    1), as said put up some pics.
    2) what wiring is corroded?
    3) fuse for the controller is on a single red wire under the dash.
    4) where is the controller wire hooked up to....inside the truck fuse box?
    5) do the plow headlights come on at all when the plow is hooked up.And both plugs are connected?
    6).....look here towards the end for your wiring diagrams.

http://library.westernplows.com/doc...ename=22373.07_110108_for_Web.pdf&doctype=pdf

rjigto4oje likes this.
  5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Welcome aboard. Did you damage the main battery cable? The truck side 9 pin connector, is that damaged? how did you perform your repairs. Does the solenoid click when trying to work the plow. Whats the truck its on?

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Of no help, but plows and their parts are way over priced.
    Jmo, but a 30% price correction is in order.

7. Jeffery

Jeffery Junior Member

The 9 pin was what was altered by the previous owner. It was turned into a connectors. I replaced those on the truck side and one of the two on the plowside due to the second on the plow side being in good shape. I did the repairs just as the truck was when i got it and working. There is no clicking at the solenoid. I have no power other then amber lights.

8. Randall Ave

Again, what is the truck? There is a inline fuse to the controller, the wire should be red. At the three valves, did you connect the three ground wires to the magnets, then run them to the ground connection to the motor. You need a wiring diagram, test light, and mabey a DVOM. These are very simple systems to pin out.

9. Jeffery

Jeffery Junior Member

Sorry it's a 96 silverado. How far down is the wire. I went from the controller, through the firewall into where it runs around to the radiator where the wires go down behind the grill and no fuse. Is it obvious? The wire is wrapped in the mesh covering and didn't see and obvious spot for a fuse. When I looked at the diagram it was very far from the controller. They were reconnected and yes to the motor. Every I tested had power before the controller went out had power. I wish I had a wiring diagram. I tried to post pics but the server said just one was to big to be uploaded.

10. dieselss

I posted the wiring diagrams for you....didn't you look at them

Randall Ave likes this.
  11. Randall Ave

On the plug that goes to the controller, carfully follow it. There is a red wire that breaks out, goes to a fused accessory supply.

dieselss likes this.
  12. Jeffery

Jeffery Junior Member

Success found it! Fuse for that is blown. Ill just have to get a replacement for that. Then ill just have to figure out why I got nothing at the plow.

13. Jeffery

Jeffery Junior Member

So I got the plow to work. Bad power wire at the plow. Just no headlights at the plow. Checked the connectors had to fix a wire but other then that those are good. Where else can I look

14. dieselss

The wiring diagram I provided.

15. Jeffery

Jeffery Junior Member

From what I saw it was for an ultramount.

16. dieselss

Starting on page 46...... (took me all of 20seconds to find it) that's the unimount portion. guess you just want the ANSWERS and don't want to actually do any work.

17. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok, no need to attack anyone, or hurl insults so let's move on or ignore some

thanks

18. dieselss

Not sure if that's for me MJD.
    I posted the wiring diagram, and asked if he even bothered to look at it.....twice.
    A simple look through the provided schematic would reveal where the fuse for the controller is(was).
    And by following the diagrams, one is more inclined to gain knowledge in the workings of his plow.
    Clearly the poster has not cared to try and gain any knowledge of his own plow by the earlier comments about test lights and meters.
    The tools are provided, up to him how he wants to use them........