1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7'6"Western ultra pro on 01silverado1500? To big?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snowpoe, Sep 24, 2007.

1. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

I have a 01 1500 Silverado LS Z71 Extended cab SB (6400lbsGVWR) It has a leveling kit on the front ,put on by previous owner (torsion bars must be cranked up to far or shocks bad because it rides so bad that if you are comeing to a stop and hit any bumps the anti locs kick in & make it hard to stop.:dizzy: )
    And the torsion bars are YH on the tag.

My ? is will a western ultra mount pro be to much plow for my 1/2 ton & what can I do so it can handle it .

Reason I want that plow is because I think I can get it for $1600 (03 7'6" ultra pro 2003 with upgraded wireing on plow side & newer mount & wireing on truck side.
    Is that a good deal?

I am having the rear springs re-arched & a add a leaf put in so the truck will sit more level with the leveling kit being on the front & so it will handle my 3500lbs lawncare trailer without saging so bad in the back

I guess while I am there I will see if they can put bigger torsion bars in as well

Any one have the # or code that would be better than what I have (YH)

It has a tranny cooler
    Should I put on a tranny temp gage or will the coputer tell me when it is hot or is it to late by then

Any answers would be great I will quit rambling now:waving:

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

You'll be fine, just put a ballast in the back of the truck.

Yes, that is a steal. Ultramounts are expensive

3. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

you will be fine.

i have a 1500 05' crew cab and run a 7'-6" wetsern pro plow on it and it handles the weight fine. i added timbrens to the front and i crancked my torsion bars up. i usuallly run about 600lbs of ballast in the rear to keep the front end up. the only thing to worry about is not to drive with the blade all the way up. you will get high temperatures on your coolant. but you willl be fine just take it easy there is no rush to getting the job done. if you rush you will have to do double the work because you made a mess the first time around.

4. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

hey you guys running chevy 1500 i liek 2000-now with 7.5 pro plows how do your front ends hold up ball joints tie rods how offten you having to replace them