1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7'6" V-Plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Kollerman, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

I have a question for you guys. What applications do Boss make the 7'6" v-plow for? I noticed that a dealership in my area has a chevy 1500 with one on. The dealership said that the truck has some timbrens in the front and had the tbars jacked up. He said it handles it pretty well.

Did Boss make this plow for the half ton trucks? If so, does it even clear enough area for the truck when you are plowing?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

2. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Guys, I talked to the dealership and they said the would possibly consider taking the 7'6" v-plow off of the truck on the lot and I could buy it from them. I have a 2000 GMC 1500, so I would have to buy a new mount, but they could help put it on my truck.

Are the Boss v-plows made specfically for the 2500 and up trucks, or would this 7'6" v-plow be ok on my 1/2 ton with the correct front end suspension modifications? I am really worried about buying it and it being to much weight and I end up ruining my truck.

Jeremy.

3. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

4. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I had a 7'6" Boss V plow on a 1/2 ton Ford a few years back without any problems. I'm sure your truck can handle it fine. You see people all the time putting 8' plows on their 1/2 tons. The V plow isn't much difference in weight than it's straight counterpart.

5. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Your truck can definatley handle that plow because a friend of mine has that same truck and he has a
    8' power V on it

6. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

It should work fine. Just make sure to add some weight to the back. Even my 3/4 ton needs a min. of 1000lbs of ballast in the back. I have an 8'2" V and that plow is only a little bit lighter than mine.Timbrens would be nice being as you don't have a straight axle up front.

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey Bossman. I see you're in Machias. Me too. I'm just nosy enough, got to ask who you are???

8. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

:dizzy: Why not just make it a ton. Heck, I'd fill my bed with concrete even to the top, that should do it it. Load a small car onto the back of your truck.

I love it when guys say, "you need 38768028376 pounds in the back". All you are doing is beating your truck more, by having to pull all that weight around and have it loaded on the suspension. A minimum of 1000lbs??? thats about double what you need. Bosses website rarely shows recommended ballast weight, but here is an example from Western's quickmatch.

03 Chevy reg cab 2500 with a 9'6" MVP Plus. 420lbs recommended ballast and thats from Westerns website. I'll believe them due to the fact that they manufacture the plow, and if anything they are extra careful in what the recommend for equipment and applications due to liability reasons.

And for the weights of the plows mentioned:
    Boss 7'6" V 700lbs
    Boss 8'2" V 770lbs
    Western 9'6" V 1006lbs

Western says that 420lbs is sufficient for a 1006lb plow, so would someone explain why atleast a 1/2 ton is need for a plow that weighs under 800lbs? I can even maybe justify putting the same weight of the plow in the bed for ballast, but "a min. of 1000lbs" for a 700lb plow??? :confused:

Ok I'm done ranting, let the flaming begin!! :)

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The more grip you rear axle has (larger and stronger) the less strain is on the (smaller, weaker) front axle, if you need 4wd at all. I'd rather carry more than necessary ballast too, but I don't have a ***** truck, either. ;) So I plow in 2wd whenever I can.

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Stupid censorship program. Whats wrong with my felinesque word anyways? :D

11. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I am in Machias, who are you and do you run a "plowing operation"?

12. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

My name is also Scott Reynolds

13. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Dean McGuire and I run McGuire Seasonal Services. (snowplowing, lawn mowing, etc)

Welcome to Plowsite Scott!!! :waving: It's nice to finally see a local member.

14. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Yea thanks, who works for you???

15. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm solo except for snowplowing. My father works for me in the winter.

16. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have a 8'2'' poly vee on my 2500hd, and I run abour 800 pounds of counter weight in the back.

17. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

After it's all said and done you end up with more weight. Add the diesel.Add the mount, now add the snow that sticks to the blade.It adds up. I also like to have the advantage over hard drifts. I don't need to tromp my throttle to push through.That's why I like to have heavy ballast.To each there own.

18. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have to ask this again though about the 7'6" v-plow. When you have it in the V or scoop position, will it clear enough of an area for my truck? I know the 8 and 9 footers do, but I just don't want to be plowing, and then riding over the snow because the plow isn't wide enough to clear room for my truck.

19. cnydreamr

cnydreamr Junior Member

I have a 8.2 boss v on a 97 chevy 3/4 ton, it barely clears a path while turning in v or scoop. As far as counterweight, i have approx 700lbs next to the tailgate that's hardly enough. How many of you have a posi? My open diff sucks, have to use 4wd

20. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have an open diff in my truck andit sucks aswell, but i have a locker up frount so what ever i cant do in 2wd i deffinaly can plow through anything in 4wd!