1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7'6" Superduty on a GMC 1500?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Chandlerarms, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Chandlerarms

Chandlerarms Senior Member

Trying to decide on a plow for our business (85 spot parking lot Condo complex). The BOSS site says only the "Standard Duty steel plow" will fit our 2001 GMC Silverado 1500, but a local BOSS dealer says he installs "Super Duty's" on 1/2 ton trucks often. Should I?, or should I just stick with the "Standard Duty" for our needs? Just want to make the best choice the first time (with what I have to work with).

Thanks in advance.

2. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

I know my buddys dad has been running a super duty on his 98 half ton for the past 4 years and hasnt had any problems.

3. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I run super duty 8' on the front of my 88 GMC 1500, you need to make sure you know the trucks limits dont try to move a crapp load in a single pass!

Have been running this set up for 3 years no problems so far might want to crank the TB's !!!

4. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

I forgot to add he does have timbrens on it also

5. Chandlerarms

Thanks for the replys!. The truck is a 2001 GMC Silverado with a 5.3L V8. FAWR is 3925LBS. Rear is 3750. GVWR is 6400 lbs. I guess my next qestion is- Is it worth is? What might I gain from going to a Super Duty vs. Standard? (besides the fact that my dealer has Super Duty's in stock & would be $200 less)

I realize I will at the least turn up the torsion bars along with possibly adding Leafs in the back (adding a SnowEx 325 TGS).

6. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Well if you ever plan on upgrading to a 3/4 ton you will already have a blade that will handle a bigger truck.

7. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I had the 7.6STD on my old 2000 1500. The only think it lacked was downpressure from the extra 100lbs or so. It pushed and dealt with everthing I threw at it. No bends no breaks.

8. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Get the Super-Duty merely because it comes with the shock absorber option kit to relieve the force of the blade tripping.

9. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

if your gonna do any stacking - and you inevitably will - a 7'6" V weighs a whole 20lbs more than the same size super duty. Like others said, know the limits of the truck as it's not a tank.

10. Outd00r Maint..

Outd00r Maint.. Senior Member

i have a standard duty my 1500, its a little bit lighter then the super duty

11. Chandlerarms

Ok. So I picked up the truck tonight. 2001 silverado Z71. 92,000 miles. Owner had all the maintenance records. Very clean truck. Taking the truck in to a BOSS dealer tomorrow (santoro). I will discuss with him what will work best. They also will handle any suspension requirements (torsion bar/timbrens ect). I asked them about service and my concern since I am not a "fleet", that I might be left out during a storm when I need a repair. He assured me that we would be taken care of. Let's hope so. Can't wait to get the plow set up!

12. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Goodluck! Let us know what you pick, and dont forget pictures!!

13. Chandlerarms

Oh- one more question. I do recall a general thread regarding what people have in their truck. What should I have as spare parts for a BOSS? The truck will only plow the property so not too concerned about coffee, six pack of mountain dew, and extra socks and gloves. All of that is 50 feet away! More so, hoses (which ones) springs, pins ext.

14. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

One of each hose, a solenoid, some hydrolic fluid. Ask the dealer what he recommends that all i.can think of besides the pins that you stated. I actually bought an emergency kit from western for my truck that came with all that stuff in a nice bag and came with a hat! Lol

15. GM_Fan40

GM_Fan40 Member

Oh and maybe an extra trip spring. But i hear they are rare to brake.

16. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I have a super duty with wings on a F150. I do have a set of Timbrens on it and I have never had any problems. Your truck will handle it just fine so spend the extra money and get it. You will not be sorry!!

17. Chandlerarms

Thanks DCJ. I will see what the installer will say. I would like to get the Super Duty. Besides- it's actually less expensive then the Standard duty! Will I void my warranty since the BOSS configuration sheet does not show Super Duty available for my 2001 Silverado?

18. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

To me the real advantage to the 7.6 superduty is that you can easily convert it to a 8.6 or 9' with a new mold board down the road if you get a bigger truck. The 7.6 STD also can be converted just a few hundred more for the new pusher frame.

19. Chandlerarms

Going with the superduty! Should have an install date today. While I wait for install I will work on minor cosmetic things. Though not really needed want to figure out what how to add an amber LED strobe, so I will be looking at that thread.

20. Chandlerarms

Do you think it is safe for me to just add Timbrens in the front & back before install? I asked the dealer the approx. cost and he gave me a price of $380 (ish). We left it at a "wait and see" once the install is done. I can order them for around $200 (each pair) and I have a friend put them in (minimal cost if anything). Of course I can wait till the install is done, but that is going to take up to 14 days. I want it ready to go once the plow is installed. I am guessing I will definately need them. Is this correct?