1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7'6" super duty on a 1/2 ton??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by dplgolf86, Sep 26, 2010.

1. dplgolf86

dplgolf86 Junior Member

I have a 1997 gmc k1500 and was wondering if a 7'6" super duty (680lbs) is too much weight for a 1/2 ton? The dealer recommends a standard duty (597lbs) but I came across a used super duty. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about this? Thanks.

2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I have a 8' super hooked to my 88 k1500 and it works great no issues and truck seems to hold it fine !!

3. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

I have an 8 ft boss on a 97 f150. will be putting timbrens on the front though.

4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have the same setup on my 92, my truck had a 2 inch lift when i bought it, thought it looked ******** so i look the back blocks out and turned the tbars down to about littleless than half far and the front ends drops maybe like 1/4-1/2 inch when i rise the plow now. you will be fine, throw about 6-800 lbs in the bed and you will be happy!

5. upst8ny

upst8ny Junior Member

I have 1996 ext cab sb with a 7.5 standard duty. Its been on the truck 5 yrs.
    This year I did upper balljoints and 1 wheel bearing.
    I have a small stainless sander from smith as my ballist
    Throw some weight in the bed crank the torsion bars 2-3 turns and that truck will be an excellent plow truck.

Im not easy on mine when the pushing gets tough and its held up great.

And I dont believe the super duty is much heavier either

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

There is a guy one town from my with a 2005? Chevy 1500 with a 7.5' Boss Trip Edge on it. I don't know him so I don't know how he likes it.

7. wva

wva Member

I have a '93 chevy I use a c7.5 meyers Icranked the T-bars 2 -2.5 turns it doses just fine . You will be just fine go for it.

8. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i've installed a few 7'6" super dutys on all brands...ford,chevy,dodge. so far they all seem to like them and we have not have any come back.

9. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

I have a 7'6" super duty on my 01 F150 crew, going on 3rd year and good to go. just run E range tires.

10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I have a 7'6" boss sd poly with wings apx. 680+/- lbs on a 98 1/2 ton and have no problems.I might think about turning my t-bars up 1 turn or so!