1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7'6" Sport Duty Poly on a Toyota Tundra

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Spucel, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Hey guys,

I've been plowing for about 10 years and have always been a Western blade guy. The old lady finally gave me the green light to put a plow on my truck....after I bought a smaller truck:realmad: . I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra 4X4 5.7 V8 with a 3" lift on the front from Bilstein 5100's.

I talked to my local guy and he said that the Western HTS is garbage and I should go with a Sno-Way plow for it. I really dont know much about them and was kinda iffy since a lot of places around here arent carrying them anymore due to their new vendor rules. So....the guy suggested a 7'6" Sport Duty for my truck, said it would be a great match for it. Anyone have any Pros/Cons to this plow on my truck?

He said he would install it on the truck for $4,600.00 out the door. Good price???

Thanks guys!
    Scottussmileyflag

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What is the cab configuration? Regular, double or crew?

3. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's why your dealer is recommending a Sport Duty then. Anything more will theoretically exceed the trucks FAWR due to the occupant capability of the double cab. It's often an issue even though not too many guys are out there plowing with a full cab of passengers.

If you're doing commercial work a Standard Duty (at least) would be a better long term choice but you may have issues getting the dealer to install one due to those weight restrictions. You'd have to see how lenient he's willing to be on liability.

If you're just doing light or low volume residential work then a Sport would be ok but still not my first choice. Nothing wrong with them, they're actually a tough plow for their intended purposes but a Standard or even Super Duty is a better long term choice both in strength and resell value.

5. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

I will have to see what he says. I checked the weight on the plows....

Sport Duty 7'6" Poly- 421lb
    Standard 7'6" Steel- 597lb
    Standard 7'6" Poly- 633lb
    Super Duty 7'6" Steel- 680lb.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Tundras actually hold the weight very well when the proper ballast is used so they'll carry even a 7.6 Super Duty without problems , it's just the liability as the installer and owner that becomes the issue. Some are willing to accept the risks and bend the rules a little to make a sale but of course that is ultimately his and your choice.

7. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Yea Ive heard they handle it well. I dont know if I want to take the chance and have it bite me in the long run. I'm not worried at all with the front squatting too much after the lift on it. Hmmmmm....decisions. What do you think price wise on what he quoted me?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Current season cash & carry pricing on the plow is close to $4000 less tax so $4600 installed including tax is a fair price but you could have a Super Duty for about $200 more. Not to sway your decision. :D