1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7'6" or 8'2" Boss V for 1999 Suburban

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bossmanv, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Bossmanv

Bossmanv Junior Member

Hello All,
    I have a stock 'cherry' 1999 gas 5.7L 1/2 ton 4x4 suburban that I want to install a 7'6" or 8'2" Boss V plow. Dealer & Boss technical staff has "blessed" the 7'6" V but not the 8'2 V blade.
    7'6" Boss V is 700 lbs & 8'2" V is 70 lbs more at 770 lbs.(neither includes mount at 75-100 lbs)
    Front GAWR is 3925 and Rear GAWR is 4000 with a total GVWR of 7300 lbs.
    I weighed front axle at local grain elevator & it weighed 3040 lbs currently without plow.
    First and foremost let me state my plow usage, at least for now, with this truck will be minimal!
    I only plan to plow my 1/8 mile drive, parents drive and maybe a few neighbors drives to payback past owed favors :nod: Only road driving would be to gas station & back (2 miles).
    Of course, I would much rather have the 8'2" for future plans of getting a 3/4 or even a
    1 ton truck for towing & for potential plow business but now this 1500 suburban sort
    of "fell into my hands" for next to nothing cost wise & is what I have to use at present. I think Burb will squat a bit but should carry the 8'2" V OK with 500-600 lbs of ballast in rear.
    I am more worried about other components such as balljoints, CVs, tie rods, idler, pitmans and even the stock(new) tires. I certainly want to be safe & don't want to "destroy" the truck.
    I have also read here that GMs like to eat up wheel bearings with heavy front loads.
    But again it will just be me out there plowing a few drives 6-8 times/year probably 8-10 hours of drive time total. Am I crazy for attempting the 8'2" V or is it doable in a safe manner?
    What in your opinion is the weakest link in the suburban suspention with the 8'2" setup??
    Anything I could do such as air shocks on the front? I read on this site that timbrens may not help and can actually be worse on the frame. Only other thing I know to do is to turn up the existing tortion bars 2 turns or so. I plan to plow with 4x4 gearbox in 4x4 low and regualar
    tranmission in low "1". Sound OK?
    Your thoughts and suggestions respected & GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

2. Bossmanv

Bossmanv Junior Member

update - purchassed the 8'2" Boss V & 1500K Burb carries it fine

I had the 8.2 Boss V mounted on my 99' 1500K Suburban. The Burb carries it amazingly well. (thanks to the 700 lbs of salt as ballast) Squats a bit but not bad at all.
    Weighed the front and rear axles and here is what I found with the 8.2 boss V mounted and
    700 lbs salt in rear. Have 4050 lbs on front axle(3925 lbs is the front GAWR) and 3580 on rear axle (4000 lbs is the rear GAWR). So I am about 50 lbs over on front and about 400 lbs under on the rear axle even with the 700 lbs of salt as far to rear as possible.
    I have not turned up the tortion bars or added timbrens at this point.
    Emphasizing info from initial post...
    I'm only doing 2 drives & little or no road driving (just to get gas & back = 2 miles).

Now here is my concern: With the above said I seem to be OK with front & rear axles but
    the stated GVWR limit is 7300 lbs & I am at 7630lbs(4050 + 3580) which is 330 lbs OVER my GVWR limit..
    I never understood why the combined front & rear GAWRs do not add up to the total GVWR?
    Can anyone explain why they do not? Logic says sum of the 2 should be the whole but not so??

So now I'm not sure what this tells me. The ballast in the back makes an incredible difference.
    The truck would not handle the plow without the 700 lbs of ballast in the rear helping to counteract the front end weight of the plow (Boss 8.2 V = 770 lbs).
    Any thought/comments or info greatly appreciated!
    Bossmanv

3. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

People put plows too big on trucks all the time and go out and run them hard. Just take it easy and you should be fine. Get Timbrens for the front and it should hold it fine.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IT's not your dealer or Boss "blessing" you with a 7'6" V plow. It is the Federal government and their guidelines and restrictions.

The government says (FVMSSA 105a brake certification) you can not have more the 62% of the gross weight of the vehicle on the front axle. Nor can the added weight of the plow exceed the GVWR of the vehicle. Since your suburban has the ability to carry six people (they assume you take the entire family out with you when you plow) they calculate in their weight. So multiply the average weight of an American adult, (equivalent to about 1.3 times my body weight, we are a fat country) by six so deduct around 1200lbs for passengers from your load capacity. I'm not saying this makes any sense but remember I started this paragraph with the government

It's good that you uinderstand that front suspension assists do not do a thing for axle tubes, axles, bearings, hubs, u-joints, etc.

You don't have the lever arm to use matching ballast, try 1000lbs. This is why they do not recommend a 8'2" in this application. Remember to leave a lot of room for stopping, you are way over designed brake capacity.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010