1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7'6" mid weight weilds breaking

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by east end turf, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Any one seen a mid weight upper trip spering brackett rip off ? just put it om brand new and with less than 2 hours pushing ? pretty poor i push everybody to my western dealer and than this happends ?
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I not sure on the midweights but I made a back drag bar for a guy with a brand new ultramount pro plus and joked with him about only having 3 springs. The eye welded on the quadrant broke off. Western gave him a whole new quad and paid the dealer to switch it out.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Can you put up a photo of what ripped off exactly. The springs and the mounts come with the blade assembly so I am not clear on what you put on that lasted only two hours. Is this some sort of extra spring or something?
  4. paynter2

paynter2 Member

The mounting brackets on my Suburbanite needed welding right out of the box. The welds had broken before the parts were even welded.

Very poor welding and very poor quality control. That was a couple of years ago. I actually took the brackets to my neighbor as the dealer was 30 miles away.

I was hoping this had improved. Apparently it has not...
  5. mishnick

As a builder I have seen some issues like this too. Sometimes we get two left hand swivel plates or some piece that should be welded is only tacked or missing all together. It seems to me like over the years Western has let go of their old hands and have replaced them with cheap imagrant labour. That is a result of the present economy. Amarican (and Canadian) companies have to compete with cheaper foreign imports making it difficult to to pay share holders any dividents. Times are changing and we must adapt or die. At our shop we spend a fortune every winter repairing faulty plows & sanders just to keep our clients happy and then Western refuses to pay for our warranty time expended. Still in the end we make a living and our people remain loyal. We need to remember that fixing things costs money but loosing customers over nickle and dime issues costs us a lot more in the long run. What ever happened to good old North American quality? Used to be that all the good stuff was made here but now the tides have turned, made locally is no garuntee.
  6. paynter2

paynter2 Member

I made a mistake in the above post - I meant to say the welds were broken before they were even painted...

Mishnick: I didn't even take the brackets back to the dealer. It's 30 miles to town - one way. I took them to a friend who is a retired pipe-line welder. When I went to pay him he asked me to help his wife with her computer - my line of work...

Then I asked him what I owed - he said: "$40 - seems kinda high huh?". I said: "Not when you see MY bill". He decided the welding was free... :waving:
  7. mishnick

Good neighbours can be an awsome resource. I do lots of barter work all the time, no cash changes hands and no tax collector gets involved. The less I hand over to the tax man the better. Funny you say you traded for computer work, I used to be an MCSE back when Windows NT was the craze. I used to have my own little computer company and too almost made a living at it too but got tired of the need for political correctness. I am much happier building trucks and fixing plows. In my shop when I smack my finger I can say "fu**" out loud and no one complains.

That really sucks that the thing was cracked before it was even painted. Piss poor quality control for sure. Too many people fail to understand that doing a good job is expensive but loosing customers because you do a bad job is a lot more expensive. My motto is "good enough is NOT good enough" If it's not done right it's not done!