1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'74 K-5 general brake question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by colorado 54, Jul 26, 2003.

1. colorado 54

colorado 54 Junior Member

This 74 Blazer is just about road ready, I have been doing bodywork on it for several weekends. When I bought it over 2 years ago, all I did was drive it home and let it sit because I work too much. The brakes did not seem to be too good on the way home or else I was just not used to it. The tires on it are size 33x12.50R15LT-M+S. It has the 6 lug wheels with disc brakes in the front. The tires certainly look good at the size they are, and I will do whatever I have to, within financial limits, to keep this size of tire on it. I don't think it has a lift kit on it. I bought the 1974 service manual on E-bay and I am sure I will be able to change and/or repair any parts that need to be serviced. My question is, with this tire size, does anyone think the standard brakes are not adequate? Any input, as always, is greatly appreciated.-Mike
    P.S- it's a long, long way down some of these mountain roads I drive here in Colorado if you were to go over the edge!{most do not have guardrails} :dizzy:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have 33's on my 77,and no problems with the stock brakes.Even with just cheapie pads and shoes.No sense spending big $$$ on brakes on a winter only truck.

If your really concerned,get a set of Carbon metallic pads,and make sure the rears are adjusted up tight.

I have seen those trucks with much bigger tires and they still stop fine.If your driving in the mountains,gear down instead of using the brakes,so they don't overheat.

3. colorado 54

:drinkup: Thanks Wyldman, I will go through them and check them out thoroughly before I start up the inclines!

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

One other thing you can do is to check and see what size wheel cylinder you have on there now,and upgrade to the largest bore size you cab get.

5. colorado 54

I'll do that too. Just checked Auto Zone online and the carbon metallics are $27 versus $11 for the plain vanilla-I'll spend the money.