1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

74 blazer fender alignment

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by colorado 54, Jul 4, 2003.

1. colorado 54

colorado 54 Junior Member

:confused: I am replacing both fenders on my 74 blazer. Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages.com said there is a certain method of doing this{i.e.-which bolt first}which is described in the factory service manual. I am looking for a manual on ebay, but no luck yet. I am having a difficult time getting the doors, fenders, and hood aligned properly. If anyone has experience in this, I would be very grateful!!!-thanks
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've done this a couple times with my old Chevy, about the same year.

I don't know if my method is the same as in the manual, but here's how I do it:

Since the cab has not been moved, this is your starting point. Adjust the doors to the cab so you have an even gap around the door, and body creases line up. Check that the depth of the door is constant from top to bottom. Operate the doors and ensure that they travel through full swing without contact or binding.

Once the doors are set, install the fenders. A couple of the bolts are tricky with the doors installed, but with socket extensions and masking tape on the door edges you can get them without causing damage. Align the fenders to the doors from top to bottom and install the fronts of the fenders extended to full width. Just snug the front bolts in place for now.

Next install the hood. Get the back edge lined up with the fenders and centered between the two. Once you're satisfied the hood is straight, tighten it snug. You might want to consider those aftermarket hood stiffeners to prevent a future crease in the hood at the hinge points.

With the hood tightened up, go back to the fronts of the fenders. Loosen the bolts and bring the fenders in to match the hood line so you have an even gap from front to rear. Test the operation of the hood and doors. If you're satisfied, tighten everything up.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Excellent write up Pelican,I couldn't have said it better myself :)

One other thing you may want to check is the integrity of the body mounts (for the cab and rad support),and the underside of the cab\rockers for bad rust\rot.If these are bad,it will throw the body alignment out,and you'l never get it right.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

colorado 54

I'm posting this portion of your e-mail here as it may help others to know what your problem was

I wanted to thank you for mentioning about the body mounts integrity check. I found out the radiator mounts need replacing. It seems someone had put the wrong lower cushion on them and there was no way they could even be tightened. There is one inch of play in them.I am now considering a whole new poly set. Thank you again!!

It's always good to reply to let others know as there may be people searching for info for a similar problem.