1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

73-87 lights, need help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT 245ME, Nov 30, 2006.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

As I was hedding to work this morning something happend to my lights, I lost my dash, tail, sidemarker and parking lights but my headlights, brakelights and 4 way flashers are still working fine. I dont know where to start looking first, any help would be appriciated.:help:

2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I have a serveral 73-87 CHevys, and i'll tell you the lights can be pretty tring at times.

You may have shorted something out.

3. towman

towman Member

sounds like you blew the fuse for the parking lights, if you did if you have trailer light hook up check those wire real close they tend to get corroded and will cause the fuse to pop

4. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

most likly its the fuse for the parking lights happend to me a few times so i put the correct amp. circit breaker in it so now if they go off the circit breaker turns them back on.

5. CAT 245ME

I checked the fuses and they look fine.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like your headlight switch may have given up.Your,tail,parking and dash lights all get there power from the headlight switch.Since you said the fuses are all good I'd go after the headlight switch, but first, pull the connector off the headlight switch and look at it.There will be two orange wires.These are the hot wire's feeding the switch.One wire is for the headlights and the other wire feed's the park,tail and dash lights.Check both orange wires and make sure they both have power,if they do then replace the switch.

7. CAT 245ME

I checked the headlight switch wires and they are good so then I tried a diffrent switch of another K truck and still nothing, so there must be a short somewere.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Cat, if it had a direct short it SHOULD have blown some fuses.And the dash lights are fused separately (marked as "Inst Lts" in the fuse panel) from the tail lights so actually is should have blown more than one if its was shorted directly to ground.Sound more like a broken wire.Were the connector pins or the connector corroded or melted at the headlight switch?

9. CAT 245ME

The conector pins were like new as was the connector . I had just remembered after my last post that the headlight switch and connector had been replaced about a year ago do to corrosion when my headlights quit working.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since the connector has been replaced,be sure to check the connections where the new connector was spliced in to the old harness. Have you checked over anything else?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  11. scaper27

scaper27 Member

not sure why you did't blow any fuses. Those are all hooked to the same fuses. Check the trailer harness, especially if you are plowing it could have a ice ball on the harness and Short them out. Happened to me last year.But it would blow a fuse. Unless you ripped out the power source

12. YooperBob

YooperBob Junior Member

Is the dimmer switch on the floor or the column? I have seen the lights do weird things when the floor switches short out.

13. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

Try this

There is a ground wire under the drivers side taillight. Take it off and check to see if the ground is okay.

14. CAT 245ME

Just an update on the wiring - I went back and checked where the new headlight switch plug was put in and removed the electric tape and the wires were burnt bad so I took a plug off a junked truck I had and had my cousin wire it up (because I dont like wiring) so problem solved, I was a while letting everyone know because I forgot my password.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear you got it fixed! :drinkup: That's why I suggested you recheck the harness where it was repaired as that actually happens a lot on these old trucks.