1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

720lt wet lift piston

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by grinch1989, Jan 23, 2011.

1. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

The plow is about 4 seasons old and working overtime this year, but I noticed some oil staining under it and upon further investigate the lift cylinder is wet. The reserve tank is now only about half full. I attempted to flip the plow up, but there is zero accessibility to the cylinder from the bottom. So I loosed up the pump in the attempt to move it out of the way and try to see what is going on, but all the hoses need to be disconnected to get to the lift piston from the top...ugg! I 'm not sure I want to start cracking hydraulic lines with 12"+ inches of the snow of the way mid week. Should the piston hold until spring if I keep fluid in it? Is there a rebuilt kit for this cylinder? Anyone know where I can get a few quarts of fluid shipped to CT by Tuesday?

2. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Probably what has happened is the cylinder ram has gotten rusty and that uneveness has wore on your packing. Thats whats leaking or a better word seaping, to get buy for now just make sure u keep an eye on the fluid level. As far as a rebuild kit not sure if blizzard has one, I just had the same thing happen on one of our 810's ordered new cylinder from Jerre they are not cheap. But when I think of the money I've made off these not so bad.

Bob :D :D

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is there an adjustable packing nut at the top of the cylinder? If so, go ahead and snug it up a bit. That may help. And of course keep the fluid full.

The fix will be to replace the seal, and the piston itself if it is damaged. If you're only losing a few ounces per storm, I would wait till spring to fix it.

4. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Thanks for the replies guys. The ram is clean and shiny, but the o ring may still be bad. Unfortunately, I can't get to the cylinder head without taking the entire pump area apart. I guess I will keep fluid in it and take it apart in the spring. Hope it makes it until spring!

Jerre, can you confirm if there is a rebuild kit for it? Thanks!

5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

There is a rebuild kit for them. Most of the time it's a loose fitting on the ram but the packing nut has been know to come loose also. The easiest way to get access is to unbolt the pump and pull the cyl. It's a PITA but will solve the problem much easier.

As for fluid you can run Meyer, Boss high performance, Western or Fisher high performance fluid in it as well as Blizzard fluid.

J

6. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

Thanks Jerre, I may be contacting you in the spring if tightening stuff doesn't work. Thanks for clarifying what I can run, I was concerned I could only use Blizzard fluid. I have a Fisher dealer close by, so I'll be stopping there at lunch. Thanks!

7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Come spring ...When done plowing put some grease on the rams(silver part) for summer storage..
    Will help keep it from getting rust while sitting...

8. grinch1989

grinch1989 Member
    from CT

The problem ended up being the fitting on the hose at the top of the ram. I had a local shop make me a new hose, which worked out fine except the ends are much larger, so I had to reroute the line. Now the only problem is the cheap plastic cover won't go all the way down. Would have been nice if Blizzard gave me a little more room to work under there!!