1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

72 power wagon hard to start and idle roungh when cold

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by packey, Dec 4, 2007.

1. packey

packey Member

I finally go the charging system ironed out on the power wagon. I replaced the never start battery with two P1's :) Then I replaced the 50 amp altenator with a true 100 amp altenator. The 50 am was a joke and was not putting more than 30 amps at best to charge with. I put new ground wire on plow pump. some dumby allowed the pump to ground itself and did not put ground wire on it. . well now that is fixed I need to keep ironing out this trucks old bumps.

Now does anyone have any advice about how to fix the roungh idle it has when it is cold. I kind of think it is the carb combined with old fuel lines from the tank. I know the mechanical fuel pump is working well and that the ignition coil is ok not great but ok. I put new plougs wires rotor and rotor cap on yesterday and it seemed to help out alot but I am still having a hard time starting it when it is 7 degrees out. and yes I did plug it in.

I guess when I am done I will have a pretty slick running truck. that loves to push snow.

2. packey

packey Member

Ok I got the rough idle stopped. Two plugs where completely fowled out. I replaced the fuel lines from my tank all the way to the fuel pump this includes a new fuel filter. The old lines where cracked up do to dry rot. Now just if I could get it to start in cold weather

3. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Have you tried adjusting the choke yet? IF it opens too far or not far enough, it will make starting in cold weather much more difficult.

On my 77 Power Wagon , I put the pedal to the floor twice and hit the key. This "usually" works...but sometimes, if it's cold enough, I'll go 3 pumps before I hit the key. I only need to do this after the truck has been sitting for more than 8 hours or so. Once the truck has been fired up, any further starting, I usually have to just hit the gas once to set the choke, then hit the key to start.

What engine you running? slant 6, 318, 360 or 400?
    What carb?

4. packey

packey Member

I run a 318-3 or the industrial 318 with a carter 2bbd carb with manual choke.I messed with it a couple of hours yesterday and decided it was time for a new carb the choke plate hangs open or shut. I got the cable nice and loose though. the other problem is that the carb wants to constantly flood the truck when you get on the gas hard. . Has anyone tried the weber replacement for the carter bbd. does it work better. should I stay with the manual choke or use the automatic choke.