1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

72 cj 5 leafspring?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Paulie's Plowin, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Paulie's Plowin

Paulie's Plowin Member

I am going to replace my springs. They currently are stock and have 7 leafs up front and 5 in the rear. Should i keep it stock or go up to 10 leafs in front and 9 in the back?

2. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

depends.. going up in leafs is going make for a pretty harsh ride. do you drive it much in summer?

3. Paulie's Plowin

Paulie's Plowin Member

Not at all. I just thought making it heavy duty for plowing and dealing with the weight of the plow and the rear plates that I have for traction i would want the heavy springs. this truck does 30 houses a storm. just trying to make her bullitproof.LOl I know I'm dreamin but these jeeps kick butt cause there so small.

4. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

well if all you do is plow with it, i say go for it. some stiffer shocks could help too. i run rancho rs9000 adjustable shock on my cj. for street and wheeling, i keep them at the lowest setting. i don't know what i'll set them at for plowing yet (haven't put the plow on it yet), but i imagine i'll bump them up. my springs are 4" bds lift springs so i'm not going to do any spring work. they're pretty heavy duty already.

5. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

I would spring it up!! I haven't put a plow on my CJ yet but I will after I get to the shackle reversal......and get setup for this season......change the fluid......blast and paint the augers........replace the single stage impeller bldes....blah blah blah... so much to do