1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

70mph with plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by David Smith, Nov 17, 2003.

1. David Smith

David Smith Member

Took my 84 Chevy on the highway today, to see if it would overheat with the plow on.
    Drove 45 miles, then turned around and came back (90 miles total), with speeds averaging between 60-70mph.
    The blade was raised abpout 85%, and tilted to the right 100%. I had about 5" of room above the blade for airflow, and the temperature guage only raised apprx. 5 degrees from where it normally runs (195).

Question though...should I install a lower temp thermostat, maybe a 180 or a 160? Or is the temp low enough already?

David

2. Joe3113

Joe3113 Member

I wouldn't change it, My trucks normal run in that range...JMO

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have a 180° in mine, Heat is bad. I wouldn't go lower than 180° though, I think its the happy temp, plus you get heat a little sooner!

4. mrzulu

mrzulu Junior Member
    from florida

Murphy's Law
    1. If it works, dont fix it!

you are not overheating and you haven't frozen solid yet either...
    so i would say if it gets to 30 below zero and it still not overheating and not freezing solid either, then everything is ok...
    sweet infact
    Nice Chevy!

MZ

5. David Smith

David Smith Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll stick with the 195 for now, and see if I need a 180 once I can start plowing!

David