1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

700r4 tranny problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by daveolejnik, Dec 26, 2008.

1. daveolejnik

daveolejnik Junior Member

I have a 92 chevy 2500 plow truck. I have had nothing but problems with this transmission. I had it rebuilt 3 times now. At the end of last season I had them rebuild it again, using the best of everything. I guess they used all kevlar racing clutches ect.... Well I just had reverse go out on me today. Ive had it. I want to just put a turbo 350 or 400 in it and get rid of this tranny. My problem is I have all kinds of money stuck in this tranny, and the mechanic says it is just something simple that went out. He claims he can have it fixed in 2 days for a few hundred dollars. I have a turbo 350 transmission, but I dont have the adaptor that I would need and its a used tranny. I dont know how good of a trans it is. Should I shell out more money for the 700r4 then I kind of know what I have in it or take my chances and put the 350 in it. Ive just had it with this overdrive transmission. There crapp. I dont know what esle to do. Ive even been taking it easy because off the past problems with the transmissions.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

The 700R4 really is just a TH350 with overdrive. Your best bet would be to get a good TH400 and stuff that in there. If it didnt take a bunch of wiring and what not, a 4L80E would be a good upgrade. Do you have an external trans cooler on the truck?? That may help save the transmission alot. Also if you dont already, get a tranny temp gauge too so you can keep an eye on it.

3. alaska blue ox

alaska blue ox Junior Member
    from Alaska

temperature is a big cause of transmission failure. no matter what tranny you go for you would be smart to put in an extra cooler. just make sure that if you go to rebuild it that you find a good tranny guy. did the same person rebuild the previous failures? make sure they flush out the cooler too! a failed tranny can send a lot of trash through it plugging off the lines and causing premature failure of your newly rebuilt tranny!

4. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Could be cracked case or valve body causing it to fail repeatedly. Any chance you can try a different 700r4 case?

5. daveolejnik

daveolejnik Junior Member

Ive had two diferant guys rebuild it. The first guy didnt stand behind his warenty so I went to someone elso who was highly reccamended. He has stood behind his warenty so far. I had a problem right away and he had to pull it out and go through it again. Thats when he put the kelar racing clutches in it, and a few other changes. I have the largest and best trans cooler that we could find and put that in it. I just lost reverse. It runs and shifts fine in all the forward gears. He claims its just a simple part that broke. Im just sick of all these simple parts that seem to keep braking. I droped the truck of today and he said it will be done in 2 days. Im going to look for a th400 and have it rebuilt and ready to drop in for the next time this tranny has a nother simple part that brakes again.

6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

These trannys can hold up very well if built right. I built one that a guy used to haul around a 5,000 pound trailer with no problems. When I mean haul around I mean all over the eastern seaboard not just the local area. Yeah uphill at highway speeds doing 1000 mile trips regularly. That was with all the updates and upgrades mind you and towing converter. His next vehicle we put a 400 that I rebuilt in and that is still going strong today. Now that shows what these things can do when they are done right. He is a good friend of mine so I really spent the time and gave the extra effort so he wouldn't be stranded on the highway. I made no money off those rebuilds what so ever. But we are still good friends today so it was worth every second I put into it for him.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict