1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

700r4 Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by VMAX, Feb 15, 2002.

1. VMAX

VMAX Junior Member

HEY FELLOW CHEVY TRUCK OWNERS.
    I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT MY TRANSMISION AND I NEED SOME HELP SO HERE IT GOES.
    I HAVE `86 GMC 305 4X4 WITH A 700R4 TRANSMISION.
    WHEN THE TRANSMISION GOES INTO OVER DRIVE THE ENGINE OR THE TRANNY STUTTERS LIKE IT IS RUNNING AT TO LOW OF A RPM BUT WHEN I DROP DOWN TO DRIVE IT RUNS GREAT.
    I GAVE THIS TRUCK A TOTAL TUNE UP,CHECKED TIMING EVERY THING IS RIGHT WERE IT SHOULD BE.
    BUT WHEN I GO INTO OVER DRIVE IT ACTS LIKE IT IS RUNNING TO LOW OF A RPM.
    ANY INPUT WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATED.THANKS GUYS,

JEFF

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Is this a new problem,have you changed tire size,or anything else recently.You must already know this,but an 86 305 isnt much of a torque engine,it wont pull very good in OD anyway,the slightest headwind or hill,and it needs to drop to drive to get any amount of power out of it.Is it missing?,will it do it in 3rd after few seconds,with it in OD,and stuttering,try gently riding the brake pedal just enough to put the brake lights on,this will kick it out of lockup in OD,see if the studder goes away,if so ,you have a dead,or weak cylinder.