1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

700R4/Park issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Okay my Blazer has developed an issue with park. It goes into park, but sometimes it pops out and starts to roll. You basically have to slam the shifter into park to get it to engage fully. This is even on level pavement mind you. I can rock it after putting it into park and it will pop out. I have noticed the gear selector isnt exactly right either. I can shift into reverse and my selector says neutral. To have the reverse lights work I have to hold the lever up into the R spot to get them to work. The trans isnt fried and shifts all gears, etc. Im guessing there is an adjustment on the shift lever or the plastic bushings are shot or non-existent. Any help would be great since it gets kinda old having my truck be the holding block here in my drive and carrying a block with me to go anywhere. Kinda crappy if you ask me. And no the E-brake doesnt work, cables are shot

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only two causes for it Tom and both are easy fixes, just have to see where the slack is that's causing all the play thus not going fully into park. Check the external linkage first since it's the easiest. Block the wheels well and have a helper wiggle the shifter in neutral while watching for excessive movement at the linkage joints. Probably won't find the problem there but check it first anyway. The likely cause is actually the internal nut is probably loose that holds the shift shaft (the one that goes through the case), the rooster comb and the park actuator lever all together. It's a fairly common occurrence and allows the internal linkage to get loose thus you'll find the gear detents aren't crisp and it isn't shifting fully into park.

Easy fix though, drop the pan, spin the nut loose farther, add a drop of thread locker to the threads on the shaft (prevents it from happening again) then simply use an open end wrench to re-tighten the nut pulling on it pretty good.

Here's a pic showing the nut you're after if you need to get into it....

tranny_3.jpg

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Thanks B&B!!:waving: This will be my lovely weekend project to accomplish. Might grab a new pan with a drain plug in it. This loosening some bolts and tilting the pan to get the fluid out is for the birds!! I forsee wearing alot of trans fluid in my future, lol.

The 700R4 is 4 quarts with a filter change or 5??

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Trans fluid makes excellent hair gel. :D

Pick up 6 qt as sometimes 5 isn't enough. Just depends on how long you have the pan is off and how much works it's way out.