1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

700r tranny

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Pa_Ron, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Pa_Ron

Pa_Ron Junior Member
    from Pa

I have a 84 suburban that when I start mornings I have to wait a couple minutes before the tranny will move. I put a new filter and fluid in and it still does the same thing. After it does finally go it will shift hard between the gears at times then other times it will shift perfect.. Any thoughts on this??

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Regarding the tranny not wanting to go first thing, l-o-n-g time ago mine started doing something similar. Of course, I ignored the warning signs and eventually ended up having to rebuild the trans. Turned out the torque converter was going and when it went, it took out everything behind it. If new fluid/filter hasn't solved the problem, and the fluid is at the proper level the torque converter is a possible culprit.

As far as the hard shifting at times, is the vacumn modulator/lines in good condition?

3. Pa_Ron

Pa_Ron Junior Member
    from Pa

there is no vacuum hooked to the tranny..Is this the problem? When I bought it a couple months ago it didn't shift right then I figured it was in need of service. The front seal blew out and I changed that and put the filter and new fluid in at that time. Well it has never shifted any better since I put it back in. I think theres something wrong with the pump.... Im not a transmission man so I posted here thinking someone would steer me in the right direction.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Pa ron,you do not have a vacuum line,dont worry about that,only a Kickdown cable.it sounds like you have a pump problem.Anytim the seal blows out,usually the pump is bad.The 84's only had 7 vanne pumps,they wrent that great to begin with,now you can choose between a 10-or 13 vane pump,they ahve much smoother pressure pulses.If you rebuild,consider a SERTA from your Gm dealer,they run about 1300-1600 here,for a compltete factory rebuild,with 3 yr 50K warranty.If you rebuild it,specify that you want the upgraded pump,and all new sprags.Good luck.Feel free to E mail me with any questions,Ive done few of these 700's,they are good trannys,but the 84's need a few updates.

5. Pa_Ron

Pa_Ron Junior Member
    from Pa

John
    Thanks for the reply.. I figured it was something in the pump went it forced the seal out. I didn't pay alot for this and its pretty rusty so it might just become a parts truck. Thanks for the advise...these forums are great for that....
    Ron