1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$700 wiring harness!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mistel, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Mistel

Mistel Member

I have another thread going on here but I wanted to start a new one as this is a new problem.

I went to my local Western dealer to get some parts. I need a wiring harness to go from a Ford to my Chevy. The Ford is a 9 pin and the chevy needs a 12 pin harness. The other problem is my truck is a 1990 1 ton old body style so it needs a separate harness to adapt to the old lights. The two harnesses cost about $700 total! There has got to be a cheaper way. Can I change the lights to newer bulbs so a cheaper harness will work an I just rewire the old Ford harness. I don't mind spending a fews hours on it if I can save $700.

Thanks

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 94 Chev 2500 and it's a 9pin..Something wrong with this picture. You have the dual headlights (2b)?

I was just looking at a wiring diagram for a dual headlight..

The 9 pin is a two relay?

The plow is a 9 pin?

3. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

id check with another dealer sounds like they are trying to mkae a christmas bonus!

4. twinman326

700.00 is a freat Xmas present..

I would say, anything can be done...Before I spent 700.00, , and the plow was 9pin..You bet I will make it work....

That why they have wiring diagrams

5. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

What year ford is the harness. I have a chevy wiring harness for a 1988-1998 chevy truck, I need a Ford Superduty 9 pin harness, for a 99-04 truck.

6. twinman326

Mistel..........
    Santa just gave you a Xmas gift..

7. Deco

Deco Senior Member

thats one reason why our rates should start atleast at $125. hr. jmo

8. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

I'll say , make sure the bulb types for both harness's in question are correct and Merry Christmas to both of them........:D

TOM

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

They are trying to sell you a iso system.

What headlights on the truck and does it have DRL's?

10. Mistel

Mistel Member

You are probably right about the 9 pin, 12 pin thing. Maybe the Chevy needs 9 pin and the Ford was a 12 pin. I haven't even looked into the wiring yet, I am still working on the mount but I went by the dealer today so I thought I would go in and pick up some parts. The problem seems to be the old headlights on the truck. I guess it is a 2B style, there are two square headlights side by side. Classic 80's body style. The parts guy gave me a harness for a newer style chevy first and it was only $100 but I could see that it would not fit the lights.

So I would think there are two ways to deal with this.

Put newer headlights in the truck but that looks like a lot of dicking around or,

make my own adapter that goes from my headlights to the Ford harness. What I need to do is fab up a harness that goes from my headlights to a Ford light base so the Ford harness can plug in. Does that make sense?

Any Ideas?

11. Mistel

Mistel Member

Let me look into it, I will get back to you tommorrow. I bought the plow used and I never saw the truck it was on but I can give the guy a call.

I think I need a harness for an older chevy. Here's a picture

No DRL's, don't want or need them

truck6.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  12. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Should be able to use a P/N 61581 lighting harness for the LF/UF headlamps that your '90 R/V 3500 has.

Along with a 9 pin P/N 61437 control harness .

TOM

13. twinman326

4 yrs different..But the front looks the same..........