1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

700 R4 Trany

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motoman69X@aol.com, May 11, 2002.

1. Motoman69X@aol.com

Motoman69X@aol.com Member

Hi guy need some help, I have a 1983 Chevrolet k-20 6.2 Diesil, And a 700 r4 Trany, Well It just took a dump on me, And I was wondering What would be the best trany to run behind that old diesil, And Im hopeing for a easy in and out swap, I Found a guy to rebuild my curent 700 74 for $800 if I bring the trany to him. Just checking my options. Any help would be great !

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Go with another 700r4,just for haha's i would check the price of a new trans fro mthe dealer.They sell new SRTA units for about 1100-130o her with a 3 yr 50k warranty at any dealer.The nice part is on an 83 there are many upgrades that have been done to the 700r4,the gm rebuilt has them all,so its a beefed up version,where as the local rebuild may or may not have the new improved pump,sprags,and upgrades.The later 87 and newer 700r4's are good trannys,the 83 is so so.the 700r4 is the best tranny for the 6.2,since it doesnt have the torque to hurt the 700.