1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$700,000 to clear snow from the U of M stadium

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Camden, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

That's the estimated cost to remove the snow from the stands and field in time for this week's Vikings-Bears game.

Someone's going to make a killing on that job.

2. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Thats a ton of work, But wow 700k Seems a lil steep!!!

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

And green bay has volunteers do the stands!

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

They actually get paid, about $10/hr. IIRC, but they never have a shortage of folks signing up.

5. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Just read thet are using groups of 100 workers with shovels in 4 hour shifts 16 hrs a day

6. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

State Job = Union wages?

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You're right, it's a huge undertaking but whoever decided that 100 people per shift will get it done is an idiot. They have more than that working just to CLEAN the stadium after a game in ideal conditions.

The number should be more like 500 people per shift. Hopefully they'll have things figured out by tomorrow, this is embarrassing to our state.

8. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

I can't see that real unless I see it green in hand LOL, I think I will retire for good with half of that money, but hey if they have the money let them spend it.

9. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Its actually de-winterizing the whole stadium for the game. The 700,000 is to open up all the concessions,bathroom,snow of course. Its not a state job and if it was they'd just make landscaper scale.

10. BossPlow614

BossPlow614 2000 Club Member

From the mngr @ MN Sports Turf Mngr's Assoc.....

TCF BANK STADIUM NEEDS PAID-VOLUNTEERS
    TO GET THE STADIUM IN SHAPE FOR A ‘POTENTIAL’
    MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL GAME.

The University of Minnesota NEEDS YOU.

As you know, the site of the Minnesota Vikings Monday Night game is up-in-the-air at the time of this e-mail. The University of Minnesota has been instructed to begin the process of preparing the field and stadium for Monday Night Football. The U of M is looking for anyone willing to work for $10 per hour in 6 hour shifts. The shifts will begin at 7:00 a.m. on Thursday morning and go around the clock through Sunday night.

Snow removal in the stands will be the focus. No shovels are needed. Dress for the elements. Free parking will be available in the Gold Lot between 5th and 23rd.
    Report for work at the Jackson County 247 entrance.

If this interests you, or you know a friend that could use the work, please contact the Minnesota Sports Turf Managers Association office at 952-473-3722 or reply to this email.

Please check the shift or shifts you’re willing to work:
    Note: Once the project is completed the shifts will end – potentially before Sunday.

__ 7:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – THURSDAY, JAN. 16 - $10 per hour
    __ 1:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – THURSDAY, JAN. 16 - $10 per hour
    __ 7:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m. – THURSDAY, JAN. 16 - $13 per hour
    __ 1:00 a.m. – 7:00 a.m. – THURSDAY, JAN. 16 - $15 per hour

__ 7:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – FRIDAY, JAN. 17 - $10 per hour
    __ 1:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – FRIDAY, JAN. 17 - $10 per hour
    __ 7:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m. – FRIDAY, JAN. 17 - $13 per hour
    __ 1:00 a.m. – 7:00 a.m. – FRIDAY, JAN. 17 - $15 per hour

__ 7:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – SATURDAY, JAN. 18 - $10 per hour
    __ 1:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – SATURDAY, JAN. 18 - $10 per hour
    __ 7:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m. – SATURDAY, JAN. 18 - $13 per hour
    __ 1:00 a.m. – 7:00 a.m. – SATURDAY, JAN. 18 - $15 per hour

__ 7:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – SUNDAY, JAN. 19 - $10 per hour
    __ 1:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – SUNDAY, JAN. 19 - $10 per hour
    __ 7:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m. – SUNDAY, JAN. 19 - $13 per hour
    __ 1:00 a.m. – 7:00 a.m. – SUNDAY, JAN. 19 - $15 per hour

Local News Story
    http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2010/12/14/crews-inspect-metrodome-aim-to-decide-on-repairs/

@Camden, IMO it's not really embarrassing, the Vikings are garbage and always have been. Reason I dont like them is because of the fans, they wanted to hang Favre when he whooped their a$$es every game as a packer and then he joins them and everyone acts as if he's the messiah.

11. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I like the FREE parking for the workers Thumbs Up Mighty nice of them not to charge for it.

12. BossPlow614

BossPlow614 2000 Club Member

:laughing: Read it so quickly that I didn't really notice that, then your comment sent it over the edge!!! Either that or it's because I haven't slept since yesterday...finals...:dizzy:

13. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

insurance must be steep on a job like this, or someone at the top is pocketing a ton of change. the labor for those 16 shifts will only cost them about 115000. Obviously plus loaders and haul away dumps, but there is still an avalanche of room for profit here. WOW.

14. loaderplower93

loaderplower93 Member

I know they have to be careful with that surface but I just saw some video of the cleanup and all they have is a JD tractor with a snowblower...another with an 8' pusher and a 908 Cat loader. I'm thinking they probably have to worry about machine weight or something on the turf but at least get 3 or 4 small pieces of machinery piling it up for a couple of loaders...or even...dare I say it and start controversy...a couple snow blowers to load up trucks.

But what do I know...I don't have the same experience those guys do I'm sure

15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

700,000 :eek: Shovel's....seriously. I'm thinking power broom's, single stage blowers, skid steers with power brooms and a couple larger blower's loading into trucks to haul off site.

16. loaderplower93

loaderplower93 Member

I'm with you Brian! I guess I could understand if they couldn't use full size loaders with blowers loading trucks because of possible damage to the turf but it seems like they could be using a lot more machinery to get this done faster. I know this is gonna be a tough job to get other parts of the stadium ready for a game but I'm not gonna be too sympathetic if they are talking about how hard it is to remove the snow and all they have is 3 pieces of machinery loading 1 truck at a time!

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think the stands are the problem not the field. Plus heavy equipment will more then likely damage the the field.

18. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sorry..... I am not shoveling all that snow for 10 bucks an hour for 6 hours. People who sign up to do this for the university must really be short on :drinkup: money :laughing:

19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

$700,000...They should have givin the bid to USM...They would have gotton people to do it for $150,000 and then hold 10% of the money for the fast pay option....:eek:

20. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Where do you put the snow?