1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7' h.s series installation on 2001 s10

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Steve'sZr2, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

:waving: hey everyone
    I recently purchased a 7 ' H.S sereies MM 1 SEHP. The plow is attached to my 2001 Chevy S10 (4.3 v6 Zr2). The plow came off the same style truck, only it was a 1999. The first owner who had the plow installed had it wired to aftermarket toggle switches so he could decide when he wanted the lights on and whether he wanted the truck lights on or the plow lights on. I helped take the wireing harness off but am having the worst luck getting it hooked back up. I tried replicating it the way it was on the 99' but i think a piece is missing but the previous owner highly doubts that.

I think what i need is the headlight adapter and DRL adapter (to replace the aftermarket toggle switch). ( http://www.fisherplows.com/publications.asp?cat=200 ) I've looked at Fisher's website and think i need the Hb-3, Hb-4 peculiar light harness, but im not positve. Could anyone tell me what the correct owners manual is for my sytem to help install the relay wires?

I've tried getting help at my local fisher dealer, but was straight out turned away so I am no longer doing business with them (nor is my boss with his 8' fisher do to extremely poor customer service). I have recently found a hydraulic shop that subs for fisher and is a blizzard dealer- although very helpful; the shop can not order me any parts do to the fact that fisher's site does not reccomend the plow for my truck even though mounts are made for it and so on. :confused:

Does it sound like I will need an entirely new truck side wire harness or just pieces to the puzzle? (how much do the parts normall go for?) I'm thinking whatever parts I need are going to be specail order do to the fact the plow has not been manufactured for ten years; would i be right?
    Theres one other place I might try (that would be Hartford Truck Equipment a fisher dealer) when I finally have time to go there.

sorry for the long post :)

-Steve

2. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

bump. lol

If i can't find the light adapters, can anyone give me a few suggestions on how to wire in an aftermarket switch? I know i have to tap into the turn signals (i believe purple on passenger side and two on drivers side) to coordinate the blinkers, but how can i get the plow lights to turn on and off (hi and low) with outthe headlight adapters. My repair shop said they would rig it up, but we've been dealing with other more important problems, so its kinda on the back burner. lol.

I can take some pictures of what i have, if that would help.

-steve

3. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Check out Autozone.com - they are an excellent resource for truck schematics.

FYI - the S10 has a relay for switching between HI/LO beam on the GROUND side (B pin) of the lights, and has a N.O. RELAY on the power side (common A pin) for turning the lights on and off. This is a little more complicated than most pickup trucks.

Scott

4. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

I never had time to figure out the wiring so Im back to searching for part numbers. Im not sure at what fisher part numbers I should be looking for for my truck. I was assuming its the hb-3 hb-4 style. But not sure if its part number 8267 or 8286. I guess I also need the DRL adapter kit 8282.

I was going to attempt to rig the plow lights up through an after market toggle switch but the relays and everything else are very confusing. I don't even know if that would let the parking lights operate correctly if I tapped into those.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I would just rewire it with a ISO module set up...Sounds to me like the previous owner already hacked the harness up to be able to operate it they way he wanted to, not for how it was intended to be used.

Granted it would cost you around $622.00

You would need:
    Kit 29048
    ISO Module 29070
    Control Harness 26345
    Plow Control Harness 26359
    Plow Light Harness 26347

You can reuse the Controller, Motor Relay, and both truck & plowside power harnesses off the old wiring.

Maybe one of one of the other guys can help you if you want to patch the relay system back up, I am not as familiar with those as they are.

As far as getting parts in either case. Try Lang's http://www.langscornergarage.com/ or CPW http://centralparts.com/. They both ship and from my experience are alot cheaper then most of the local dealers. You may need to call for pricing if the part numbers aren't listed, but they do have them.

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Then a nother 150 to convert a shep to a 3 plug? If u go iso style.

7. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

how would you convert to the 3 plug setup? I haven't researched that so much. I've quickly seen it when looking at the light upgrades but never read about it in depth.
    Switching to the isolation mod. would be great, but the cost is holding me back. Thanks for the part numbers if I do indeed go that route! Im going to search ebay and see if anything comes up. Seems to be more iso. wire harnesses then relay harnesses.

8. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

just leave your trucks harness alone and wire plow lites separate the heck with blinkers
    you still have them on the truck. you start cutting things up you'll wish you didnt...especially if your not sure what your into... great driveway plows, you got the poly edge on it ?

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thats all in the price as well as the part numbers 26347 & 26359.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Here is a diagram to give you a better over view. All the directions and supplies to install it come in the kits. Very easy to install.

[​IMG]

11. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

what exactly is being done on the plow side to make the SEHP a 3 plug system?

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Essentially all your doing is putting the lights & the controls on there own harness, were as now there on the same harness. The new light harness is plug & play, as well as the pump. All you do is route them and zip tie them to the plow headgear.

Take that small black box thing off the side of your pump, there is 3 solenoid cartridges with little spade terminals on them, this is where the control harness plugs in, there all color coated, and there is directions on the backside of the black cover you just removed. However all you have to do it is swap them one at a time with the new harness and there is no messing it up. If you choose to go this way and the directions aren't on the backside of that lid, you can get them on fisher's website, or I have them if you don't want to search for it.

13. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

The only problem is the fact of not having other drivers in front of me aware of which way im turning. No body pays attention to hand signals unless its the middle finger now adays The plow does have the poly edge on it, although it is worn down on the edges significantly because of the previous owner. I could use a new edge, but for 230-300 dollars for a new poly, I can't justify the money for something that doesn't really need to be replaced.

Ok, I pretty much understand the concept now. Thankyou. It definitely looks easier then fixing the relay system. The only thing holding me back is the price of switching over to the isolation module. Its a lot of money to invest in a plow that I only use for personal usage. Were the two plug relay systems designed to work with my headlight system?

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

I would think so, I had one on my 02 GMC 2500 HD, I actually think it's the same one, but I sold it with my old plow just about a month ago unfortunately.

Call and talk to Lang's, Explain to them what you have, and that you would like to get a new relay setup for your truck. If it can be done & the parts had...they can help you on that end.

15. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

Im thinking that a new truck side relay harness for the lights may be less expensive. I will give them call. Thanks again.

16. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

yea i hear ya... people are nitwits, especially in a snow storm..and not to much common sense on a sunny day....:laughing:

17. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

get ready to pay, there aint nothing less expensive at a fisher dealer...:D
    thats why i said switch the plow lites separate. you'll be amazed at what they get
    then again maybe you wont...
    i made my own harness cause the price was ridiculous.. jmo

18. brad96z28

I have brand new mm1 control harness U would need realys and headlight harness. $50 if u want the new control harness. They are 150 new. I might have some used chevy headlight harnesses around?

19. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

what is the part number for I can look on fishers website. I may not need the "control harness". I have it set up now that the plow is operational. Just no lights.
    I'm still interested and appreciate the offer.

On the side of making your own harness. How do you bypass the light adapters but still operate the low/hi beams on the plow and the blinkers?

20. brad96z28

headlight harness is 8276. I can not gaurntee its working order but it looks like its all there with 2 relays. Let me know if u think it will work.