1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$ 7 Backup light system

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by FisherVMan, Jan 25, 2010.

1. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Ok I am lieing the two foot junk of 2" steel cost seven bucks and I had the old strobe light laying around and the 55 watt halogen flood light. I just cut four inches off and butt welded it to the 20" that was left and drilled a hole in it for the light and welded a right angle piece on to hold the magnetic base strobe and put a piece of Stainless molding behind it for a reflector and there you go a light bar for cheap................... the wiring plug I had as well but I think from memory it cost $6.
    I will say that the guy on here that makes the backup buddy is the slickest one I have ever seen and I like that even better but I had this stuff laying around so just made it up and it works great! The F150 backup light isnt much so this is a HUGE improvement:waving:
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a good idea, but I'd have both lights broke in under an hour.
  3. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I better sign you up for a driving in reverse program I think one starts tomorrow [I have my wife take it two or three times a year]
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I have no trouble backing up, lol.

I was thinking more along the lines of backing up to quick and sliding backwards into the snow pile at the other end of the lot with all 4 tires locked up. :D
  5. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I too have a problem with those snow piles getting in the way. Also I dont like anything sticking out farther then my bumper. Neat Idea non the less though
  6. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

you can run a red light in maine?
  7. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping Senior Member
    from Medford

In Mass... You can run any color backwards with the exeption of White (clear). It might be the same in Maine
  8. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I don't think a red light can be run in Maine. Only amber. I used to have purple lights on my first truck and got pulled over all the time.

I too would have those lights ruined in an hour. I allready have my trailer plug-in bent.
  9. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Not true,Only amber in mass.Forward or back.
  10. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

for all you guys saying you'd have that destroyed in under a few hours, seriously learn how to drive LOL

looks very cool!
  11. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

uh oh mite have a problem with my 6 clear lights lol
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Says the guy who just had a new front clip put on his truck... prsport :D
  13. serafii

serafii Senior Member

great idea but those wouldnt last the time it would take me to do one driveway lol my back bumper and anything on it dont get along with the snowbanks i back up into lol
  14. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Dont forget to register your truck.
  15. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

you are definitely Crafty!!!!!!!!!
  16. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

hahahahahaaa I knew that was coming....
  17. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping Senior Member
    from Medford

Not if you have the permit. And the law states as follows.... I will double check with my uncle who is a state trooper, but I have been told the following prior. You may have any color in the rear in that state of MA, because of the following, You can not pull people over with the back of your vehicle. Look at the state vehicles next time while driving, many have red and amber rear facing. Regardless of the emergency lights are lights. I had blue on the rear facing of my truck and never had a problem with them. I am meeting with my uncle later on in the week and will double check.
  18. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Another neat product, FVM.

Mass., at least in the M.G.L. Chapter 90 stuff that I was most familiar with, expressed it as something to the effect of "in the direction the vehicle is proceeding or facing." I think they may have gotten a little pickier with the newer "CMR" or whatever those are, with amber light permits and all that.

In Maine, other than taillights, Title 29-A allows only vehicles that can display red lights to the front to have "auxiliary" red lights to the rear, except for rural mail carriers on duty. Theirs have to be "amber or red, or any shade between amber and red." They must also flash simultaneously.

That being a Federal Signal strobe, switching it to an amber dome should be easy enough. I think that setup would give the truck some pretty good visibility to the sides when you're trying to back out from between snowbanks. [​IMG]
  19. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Now that I bought the SS plow,if it doesnt start snowing again, probably wont be able to afford to register at the end of the month!!!!
  20. Spudman

Spudman Member

Perhaps I need to sign up. I haven't had any trouble with snowbanks but the other day I did get a little to close to the bumper on one of our potato trucks. Now it's time for a new bumper and tail light on my truck. Oh well. . . . . . .