Snow Plowing Forum banner

7.6ft vs 8ft

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  basher 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 07 GMC 2500hd classic ext cab duramax and have an 8ft Fisher MM2. I was wondering if this plow is to much weight for the front end of this truck, I have it forsale now to buy a 7.6ft, is this a bad decision?? I don't want to kill the front end of this truck since I need it to be dependable and do travel often with it. Thanks for the help!

#5 ·
I ran a 7'6 on my last truck and bought a 7'6 for my new one... yes an 8' may be better in some places but I like my 7'6 plow. You have to be careful sometimes because you need to get real close to things but you figure it all out. I definitely wouldn't call a 7'6 useless. I wouldn't go selling an 8 to get a 7'6 though.

#6 ·
I question whether or not my 8'6" is too narrow doing streets. There's not that much weight difference between the 7'6" and 8'. 50 lbs isnt' going to make any difference.

#7 ·
More plow helps to keep the truck out of the landscaping and on the driveway where it should be. Having to hug all the edges due to the plow not being much wider than the truck (especially angled) just adds to the possibility of catching the truck on something along the drive. A wider plow will allow you to "reach" with the blade instead of hugging the truck against everything to get it clean curb to curb.

#8 ·
Well put B&B.

I found that out last year as a guy that was plowing with me was got getting all the way to curbs when we were plowing cul-de-sacs. So I came and watched him and he couldn't get all the way there. Where ever there was a mailbox, his mirrors whould hit the mailbox before his 7.6ft plow would reach the curb.

#9 ·
Philbilly2;1120285 said:
he couldn't get all the way there. Where ever there was a mailbox, his mirrors whould hit the mailbox before his 7.6ft plow would reach the curb.
Why I don't even stock a 7'6" for full size trucks. Personally I like at least 8'6," keeps my mirrors out of the bushes and allows me to clean much closer to curbs, vehicles, etc.

Keep the eight, crank the T-bars a bit, add a set of timbrens, carry enough ballast and you'll be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.