1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7' 6'' xtreme v ss

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mattbl, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mattbl

mattbl Junior Member

i have a 2002 dodge ram 2500 qcsb cummins. i want to put a plow on it. i have been looking at the extreme v stainless steel one. i am not sure if the truck can take it. it has a 4.5'' skyjacker lift on it. what should i do.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

get rid of the lift and then put a plow on it. The attack angle on the blade will be too extreme if you don't do any modification to the truck side mounting bracket if you dont lower it. If you do take out the lift then I would put an 8.5 extreme V since you will kick yourself in the end for getting such a small plow. JMO Good Luck.

3. mattbl

mattbl Junior Member

if i keep the lift can i do the 8.5

4. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

You can use the 8 1/2 with the lift but, with either plow your still probably going to have to do some modifying to get the plow frame level with the ground. Otherwise when in v mode or scoop mode there will be a gap under the blade and the cutting edges will wear funny.

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

id say go with the bigger plow. the 7.5 is too small for that truck

6. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

With that size truck and a cummings 8.5 or even a 9.5 depending on what type of lots you have . All commercial then deffinately 9.5 but if you got both Res and Commer then i would say 8.5. But like what was said you will deffinatley have to add to the truck mount to make the attack angle correct.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

don't put a 9' plus blade on the truck the front end will wear out in no time. The extra stress from that large a blade will do a number on the tie rods, track bar, and unit bearings. These trucks are already front end heavy from the Cummins engine - power is not a problem, front end life is. It will handle a 750 lbs setup (8' HD Fisher) fine, tho you will need ballast at the back with the QC.
    V blades are heavier than straights and everyone who I have ran into in any way that had a 9 foot straight on a 2500 regretted it.

You have to understand the basics of plow function and mounting in regard to the lift- the plow mounts to the frame which is intended to be a certain height range off the ground. In order to function properly, and without undue wear and damage from misalignment the plow must remain close to level, and there is adjustment built in the plow mounting system for the expected range of frame height (which is also factored into the push plates mounted on the frame when the plow company engineers them).

If you add a lift to the truck you take the frame out of the expected and designed height range and the plow cannot be adjusted properly. In order to keep your lift and allow the plow to be adjusted properly you will need to have a knowledgeable welder modify either the push plates or the a-frame and lift mechanism to let get the plow back into the range it is supposed to be in. This will increase the stress on the mountings because the a-frame will have to in effect have a lever mounted to it or the plates will. Look at the back of an a-frame to see the adjustment holes- now to modify there one will need to add another adjustment hole or two further away from the center line of the a-frame which will induce torquing around the axes of the a-frame centerline and add a lot of stress to that part.

If the plow is not run adjusted properly, especially a V blade compared to a straight blade, you will bend pins and/or pin mounting plates, bend/break main pivot (hinge), increase wear to the outer edges of the blade causing uneven wear and poor scraping, bend and/or break the a-frame, and transfer more shock to the truck at unintended angles which may increase the chances of damaging the trucks frame either bending or cracking since the force angle is different from designed plow the blade will not trip as designed when encountering an obstacle.

There are a handful of lifted trucks I see around here with plows, but never for very long (multiple seasons). I would drop the lift if you want to plow.